MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:13 PM

Motor/Speed Controller for KMG Belt grinder

I am geting real serious about obtaining a KMG belt grinder and would like to hear from others about the best Motor/Speed controller combination to purchase for this system.

I know that there are both DC and AC motor/speed-controller combinations but I do not know what the advantages/disadvantages are for each of these.

Also, what would be a good size motor to obtain and also where good I get the best price for both a motor and speed controller.

Thanks much for the replys.

Mario
Old 07-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Sader
motor&controler

Mario, I have bought & am using a 1 1/4hp motor & controler from Surplus Center,I paid less for both than just for either 1 anywhere else. Try Surplus Center.com Good Luck, Mike Sader
Old 07-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Steel Addict

Hello Mario! Welcome to the Knife Network!

Good questions! You'll probably get several different answers as there is no single answer that fits everyone.

Here are a few of my thoughts:

The KMG was designed specifically to allow you to have a wide range of choices for the motor. Since the motor is not built-in as an integral part of the machine, you can use just about anything. For some guys, this can be a big cost savings should they be resourseful and have something laying around or comfortable with buying something used or from surplus.

I recommend 1-1/2hp or larger. You will want to spin the drive shaft on the grinder upto about 3500-4000rpm for high speed reckless grinding. This will guide you with a pulley selection based on your motor speed.

I no longer sell DC motors and drives in favor for the AC variable frequency packages. I feel that the two types have similiar power and torque characteristics throughout their respective speed ranges...but I favor the AC due to: higher efficiency, lower maintanance, better durability, lower cost, and more features including motor protection from overload.

If you are comfortable with industrial power transmission equipment, you can find very good deals on Ebay or through a variety of surplus dealers.

In general, your initial decision should be focused on your shops electrical power. Do you have 220V to run the grinder on? or would you like to use 110V? If you use 110V, which is the most popular packages that I sell, you are limited to about 1-1/2 hp regardless of the motor type. However, if choose 2hp or larger, you will have to run it on 220V. There is big performance difference between 1-/2 hp and 2 hp. I can say that 1-1/2 hp is by far more popular due to the convience of just plugging it in a standard wall outlet and 1-1/2 hp is what I use in my shop on a daily basis.

Good luck with your search....for some of use, that is half of the fun. But for others, finding a motor and compatible controller can be an intimidating nightmare.....for these guys, I offer motor and controller packages.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of great advise from others here as they share their success stories.

Sincerely,
Rob

Old 07-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
I bought a KMG from Rob a few years ago with the AC variable speed drive he supplies in 1 1/2 HP, and I have absolutely no regrets. It is a fine system. In addition to the features Rob mentioned above, it is also reversible, and has dynamic braking (meaning it doesn't coast when you flip the switch to "off"- it stops right now).

Rob is also a great guy to deal with.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 07-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Skilled

I switched from 1.5 HP to 2HP and would never come back.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:46 AM

i'm an electrician - go AC always...happy knife making - will be setting up and wiring my shop after the holidays...
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
My input is to go with a VFD setup...... 3 phase motor of 2hp, and a KB Electronics KBAC 27D controller. This will require 220v, but since your rewiring.....wire in 220!

I'd say at least a 2hp motor.....I actually have a 3hp DC on my KMG (but that was before VFDs were readily available.....if that motor ever goes, it will get replaced with a VFD setup)

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Tags
knife, knife making, making