MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-09-2002, 10:05 PM
antqcoltfan

wood origins

Ok everybody, I know what curly, spalted and burl woods look like, but where do they come from? Do they come from the "normal" tree and are special treated to make the effects that you see or are they a special hybrid of the tree that makes the effects we see? Like curly maple, does it come from a "regular" maple tree or is there a certain type of maple tree it comes from.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:05 AM
aussiehillbilly

> RE: wood origins

G`Day mate, burls are a growth near the base of a tree trunk caused by insects laying eggs and rotting parts of the trunk which then continue to grow. curly maple comes from the sugar maple tree, it has elegant figures in the grain, the most common varieties called birdseye, curly, tiger, quilted, or fiddleback maple.jason
Old 02-10-2002, 07:47 AM
Don Cowles

Re: > RE: wood origins

As was said, "curly" is a natural figure seen in some wood species (maple, walnut, ringed gidgee, etc.).

"Spalted" wood has begun the decay process, in which organisms have penetrated the wood leaving dark lines along the natural laminations.

"Burl" occurs when natural growth is disrupted by some outside force: insects, nails, etc.- and can happen along branches and trunks as well as roots.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:57 AM
C L Wilkins

This was cut from the very base of a tree right at the trunk. The trunk was basically growing as two pieces of wood and was rotten in the center due to insect infestation.

One problem with wood like this is that there is an awful lot of waste due to insects and whatnot. I spent all last weekend cutting up some wood that I had harvested last year. I was fortunate to salvage just less than half of what I had.

What I did as soon as I got the pieces home was to spray them down with an insecticide and place them in plastic garbage bags. You would be amazed at all of the dead red ants that were in the bags once I opened them a year later.

The advice I have to anyone that ever does this is to constantly be aware of the insecticides and that proper caution should be taken.

Craig
Old 02-10-2002, 02:01 PM
MJHKNIVES

Craig, I agree, also take care and wear a respirator when working spalted (or any other) woods, as the spalting can spread nasty virus' which can have devestating results to your health.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:57 AM
Gary Mulkey

Don is right on for the origin of these woods. Another source is the root of some species which is sold commercially as burl.

Gary
Old 02-21-2002, 12:18 PM
moldy Jim

One way to eliminate the insecticide residue is to put the wood in a plastic bag and place it in your microwave for a few minutes.
Heat will kill the bugs, but if I understand correctly the vibrations from the microwaves do even more damage to the little critters.
But don't leave it in too long or the wood can start to burn if you done watch it.
Of course the bugs won't climb out to die, they just add character to the wood. (more protein?)
Jim