MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Skilled

A caping knife.

I had some requests for a knife for caping/skinning. The guy who wants one does a lot of hunting and has more animals in magazines than anyone I know. So I listened very carefully to his discription and theory for a good capping knife. Here is a prototype. The stag will need to be cut differently and I didn't particularly like working with aluminum for the guard. What do you think?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Steel Addict

It's a beauty.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Skilled

And the roll of beautiful knives continues! Great work man.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Skilled

I'd agree with the aluminum guard. Other than that you hit the nail on the head. I always get a kick from the "would be" hunters who want those big knives, or gut hooks. That knife will do pretty much every thing a hunter could ask. What steel?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Master

Nice Ricky

what pin material on the guard ?

Last edited by BCROB; 02-22-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Steel Addict

Nice.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_arthur View Post
I had some requests for a knife for caping/skinning. The guy who wants one does a lot of hunting and has more animals in magazines than anyone I know. So I listened very carefully to his discription and theory for a good capping knife. Here is a prototype. The stag will need to be cut differently and I didn't particularly like working with aluminum for the guard. What do you think?

OK first let me say this I love the knife! '

On that note the rest of this goes more to your client and your understanding of his need.

While I have never caped a mount, if the knife is modeled on his description, I am thinking your design hits the mark pretty much right on. Googling "caping knife" shows a similar design to your design, however there are pic's that is all over the place, in size and shape.

As stated I have never caped an animal for mount but, as a youngin I skinned many an animal for their fur, after running my trapline. I usually kept two knives available at skinning time. One was my pocket knife with a nice point and the other was a pretty much a dedicated skinner. Something along the lines of a Green River Skinner. The idea is to skin the animal without damaging the pelt. Pretty much the same idea when caping an animal for mount!

The knife with the point is for area's the dedicated skinner doesn't work well in as well as for establishing that beginning point at which the skinning starts. (Similar to this pic),

The dedicated skinner, (similar to the pointed blade in this pic).

That blade is for, that rolling stroke, you make to separate the skin and the carcass without cutting the skin. The rounding shape of the blade, allows for you to do this quickly and easily!

Your design seems to marry both elements into one knife,..........well done!!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 02-22-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Steel Addict

One question I forgot to ask in the other post. Why the Aluminum guard?? Was it a weight issue??

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 AM
Skilled

Yes. he wanted it light weight. And I had some scrap aluminum handy and wanted to try it.

Tags
beginning, blade, design, folding knife, green river, guard, hunting, knife, knives, make, man, mobile, mount, pocket, pocket knife, post, skinner, skinning, stag, steel, trapper