MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Enthusiast

one more piece to the puzzle...

A friend of mine brought me a blower from his now defunct heating system tonight. "This should do ya"...he said. It has a 6 inch output on it so yeah I think it would have plenty CFM's to get to forge welding heat. LOL might have to step it down a bit, but hey...thank god for gate valves huh? This is gonna be one heck of a frankenstien unit by the time i get the forge rebuilt. Wondering if theres enough PVC reducers to step this thing down from 6" to 1 1/2 or just find a more suitable blower. lol
Old 11-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Master

Save the money on those reducers unless you already have them. Should be able to figure something out with scrap that's laying around and duct tape. May as well run what you already have. Craig
Old 11-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

The blower turned out to be a study in frustration....Got it reduced down to the size I needed, but when it was all said and done there was very little air flow at the nipple Im using for the burner. Was gonna step up to a bigger diameter nipple, then the blower took a dump. Looks like the search for a blower is still on.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Sound like static pressure got ya. Thats the major problem with using any type of shaded pole blower for a forge....as static pressure increases, the amount of air the blower pushes decreases. Very often this results in burning out the blower motor because it's not getting enough cooling air.

I went through a truck load of shaded pole blowers ("squirrel cage") until I broke down and purcahse one of the forge blowers from Blacksmith Depot. That was nearly 10 years ago, and the blower is still going strong on my welding forge to this day.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast

Funny you should mention them Ed, I just happened to find Blacksmiths Depot this morning and seen the blowers they have. Im just trying to decide which one would be enough to run my forge. Forge casing is 10" x 16"...Im planning on using 2" Kaowool so that would cut the interior down to 6" diameter...not counting a good layer of Satanite, say, 1/4" maybe?
My whole plumbing set up is very similar to this...with a ball valve instead of the 'tee' with the nipple and gate valve sticking up in the air. http://www.jamesriser.com/Machinery/...asforge10s.JPG

My black pipe is 1 1/2" reduced down to 1/2" nipple (think I need to bump that up to at least 3/4") Would have sworn I used 1/2" nipple for the burner on my old forge, but now Im thinking it was 3/4". And yeah your right about the static pressure...it got me, and the motor.

I was thinking the 112 c.f.m. blower that Blacksmiths Depot has should be plenty, shouldnt it? Which model do you run?

Last edited by contenderfan; 11-17-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Tags
blacksmith, blower, forge, forging, kaowool, motor, pole, problem, pvc, welding