MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Steel Addict

No one knows what satanite is! aarrgghhh

Just venting here, but I went to 3 different hardware stores to build my forge. Got stovepipe in one and got my kaowool via ups today. Do I have to coat it with satanite or is there something else? When I asked if they had any, I was looked at as if I had asked for the keys to their car to go pick up the clowns for the circus. A definite HUH? look.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Steel Addict

Try a pottery making supplier or buy online from Hitemptools.com

Old 10-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You could coat with any furnace cement if you water it down enough but Satanite is much better. Just order it from High Temp like Oldwolf suggested...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Steel Addict

1 or 2 lbs?

Old 10-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Whatever you want, one pound is far more than enough for one forge. BUT, it will chip off so you'll want to patch up the forge interior from time to time so take that into account...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Skilled

Like those above I highly recommend http://www.hightemptools.com/refractorycoatings.html

The Satanite does indeed crack and break off, especially on the forge bottom and at the openings but you need it. I highly recommend the Bubble Alumina 2.5 lbs for $17 for the forge bottom and also the openings. The stuff looks like cottage cheese, spreads like cement, but is hard as concrete and has made my forge ultra durable. Before I tried it my forge would need constant repair around the front opening and forge bottom. My steel lays in the opening when heating up. After using on the bottom surface of the opening I have not had to repair anything, over 9 mo's now.

And do not forget some ITC-100. Expensive but only need 1/4 pint for a small forge. This stuff reflects heat brilliantly and makes my forge get very hot quickly and I use very little propane running the forge at 3-5psi. ITC-100 is well worth the money. http://www.hightemptools.com/itcproducts.html

I buy a lot of stuff on-line and best to get everything all at once, and it will all fit in a USPS Priority Flat Rate box. Don't overlook their ceramic platen liners and stainless forge flares. Good Luck.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 10-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Steel Addict

Talking

I just placed and order for 2 lbs of satanite. I looked at the other Bubble A, but I just decided to go with satanite as this will be my first forge because until I get everything running, money is an issue. I still have to build another bench, a grinder frame, idlers, and drive wheel for a 72". Startup is expensive! Thanks to all who replied!!!!

Last edited by Hurley; 10-14-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Skilled

I understand completely Hurley. I started less than a year ago and have just been piecing together a shop when I get the funds. It can be expensive.

I think you got the right amount of Satanite. I would mix up small batches and put on thinly. Over slightly damp Kaowool. I took my time and let the forge air dry overnight between each coat, building it up to about a 1/4" thick. I then took the safe route and let the forge dry out completely for 3 days before I fired it up the first time. I wanted the Satanite to dry and settle into it's final position. It has worked excellent, except like I said on the door opening where steel rubs it going in and out of the forge. You will have enough to patch any cracked broken off chunks.

Good luck and please take pics and post of your forge build. Not a lot of forge pics on here and they wold have been of help when I was building my forge. Somebody will appreciate your experience.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Steel Addict

Fulmaduro, I just read you are a marine veteran, Semper Fi bro! VFW? Well I have been to foreign lands (sandy places) to take care of some things for our illustrious government, but not during war time.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Skilled

Semper Fi Hurley! Thanks for serving the Corps! I served a tour as a recruiter out your way, at Ft. Stewart, Georgia. 30,000 soldiers and one Jarhead! I put a lot of kids in the Marine Corps. Let me know if you need anything or any help. I will try to help all I can!

Knife content: I was always dismayed with the questionable quality of knives I either bought or was issued while in the Corps. I vowed to someday make a better knife than what I had to contend with. I couldn't afford custom knives because that would have cut into my beer funds. But I am well on my way to make achieving my goal. Take care.

Tony Z

Tags
bee, build, building, coat, custom, custom knives, flat, forge, grinder, hardware, help., hot, kaowool, knives, made, make, making, post, repair, stainless, steel, surface