MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:47 AM

Stamp

Hello everyone. I am looking for a stamp to stamp our knives before we heat treat. I was wonding where the best place is to get one.

Thanks,

Susan
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Steel Addict

I've heard several smiths say www.henryaevers.com is the place to go. That's where I'm going to go when I get one.

Jeremy
Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Skilled

Yep Henry Evers

is the place to go. They'll run $100 plus are well worth the cost. Be careful not to use it on hardened steel and it'll last a loooooong time.

Dana
Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 AM

Is the holder worth getting?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Steel Addict

Hi Susan

A holder would definitely be worth the purchase, however I would suggest that you build or look into a press that would incorporate a stamp holder. I have not used a stamp for about 20 years, I was not pleased with the double stamp of ghost image I would sometimes get and opted to buy an inexpensive electro etching unit and have used that method ever since. I have never used a press but I'm told that the stamp leaves a much cleaner impression and eliminates the potential to double stamp problem. Ed or some of the guy here would be able to give more accurate particulars about using the stamp. Here is a link to a simple pin press build on Tracy Mickley's US Knife Makers Supply site that can be altered to suit the need. http://www.mickleyknives.com/html/pa...pin_press.html I hope this proves useful, Good Luck and have fun

Jim

Old 01-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Steel Addict

Susan-

I have a friend who I watched using a holder for his stamp and he seemed to like it. Sounds like some others don't (like Bing) when stamping and still seem to have a good outcome. After some of the guys are done with the show in Texas, you might be able to get some more good advice. I'll be really interested in your experience with it all if you wouldn't mind sharing as you go-it'll still be a while I think before I end up getting a stamp made.

Jeremy
Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Skilled

I'd use the holder

Tracey's will work too. I think Ed's got a couple of pics somewhere of his setup that I thought was better than the others, though.

Dana
Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 AM

I think you are right Jeremy. I do not like the results of electro etching my knives, but I have seen some with the stamp and I quite like the results from it. My main concern is the double stamp problem if I dont get the stand. The stamp will run me about 175.00, and the stand is about 200.00. So I want to be sure the stand is going to be worth it to buy before I put out that kind of money.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Skilled

Hi Susan. You don't have the buy the stand. You can buy an inexpensive arbor press at a tool store like harbor freight.

When I got my stamp, I was seeing all the holders and stands and thought I'd have to do something similar.

Well I had a 1/2 ton arbor press for other things and decided to try to use it for stamping. It worked fine and I have been using it ever since.

I thought I would have to make or weld a stamp holder on to my press like others had done but I discovered the stamp works just fine in the press as is with no modifications at all.

There's nothing wrong with folks that want to build a holder or other device onto their press but I think sometimes folks are over thinking and over complicating the process.

I'll see if I can get some pictures posted up in a bit about how I press my stamp and my setup. It's quick and easy and works everytime.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Skilled

Here's a picture of the press. It costs about $30 I think. It's bolted to the bench and there is a piece of 1/4" mild steel plate just setting on the base of the press.

Here's the blade set on the base ready to place my stamp. It has a layer of masking tape to protect the ricasso from scratches on both sides. The tape also helps keep the stamp from slipping.

Now I have positioned my stamp where I want it and bring the press arm forward so the weight of the ram holds the stamp in place. I check quick to make sure the stamp is straight up and down front to back and side to side.

Lastly I take the press arm handle and apply some pressure to the stamp so nothing moves or bounces then I give the ram a good rap with the hammer to ensure a good deep stamp. And done. No bouncing, no double stamp and no hassle.

The whole process takes about 30 seconds total. This is just how I do it. I'm only trying to demonstrate that you can stamp without buying that expensive holder or doing a lot of work to modify an existing press.

My stamps come out exactly where I want them on the blade and perfect everytime. I stamp my blades cold but they are annealed and dead soft when I do it.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.

Last edited by J. Doyle; 01-30-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 PM

Hi John,

That looks great! I think the stamp is a good idea, and just by the look of the holder, I had thought we might be able to rig something up. Thanks so much for the demonstration. Very helpful.

Thanks, Susan
Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 AM
Skilled

Couple pieces of "I" beam and a hydraulic press. Put a slot in a block of steel.

What do you do when you see your ex in pain, limping and bleeding?

Relax. Take a deep breath. Reload and then shoot again.

http://www.andersenforge.com/
Old 01-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Steel Addict

I have another one on it's way from Buckeye Engraving , Kent Ohio. About $140

www.BirdogForge.com
Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast

Where ever you get your stamp I'd highly recommend a small press. After our first visit to Karl's shop I came home and built one similar to his and love it. Can't imagine going back to a hammer for stamping.

Tags
blade, hammer, handle, heat treat, hydraulic press, image, knife, knives, press, supply