MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Enthusiast

what equipment to buy?

Ok so I want to make knives I've been reading any books and watching as many videos as I can and now I'm ready to start putting equipment together. I have about $800 to spend for now and would appreciate any suggestions. I would like to get a grinder and do not mind buying a cheaper one for now and upgrading later. I know I can just start with a file and sandpaper and I will probably do that while I'm getting equipment together so advice on essential power tools would be great. Thanks in advance I've already learned so much from this forum seems like a great community to be a part of!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I think most of us would say that the essential power tools would be a grinder, a drill press, and a metal cutting bandsaw. The grinder is the tool you will use the most out of those three. Being able to grind the bevels on your blades instead of filing them is probably the single largest advantage you'll get from power tools. Also, after roughing out a profile with a hacksaw the grinder allows you to quickly smooth out the rough edges. Since you have a few dollars to spend I would not waste any of it buying some Delta or Craftsman type of grinder that is under powered and intended for wood working. Get a Grizzly 2x72" for about $600, shop for a used grinder, or buy the parts to build your own (lots of plans available). The grinder is the center of your shop, make sure it's a 2x72".

All that being the case, if you haven't yet made your first knife, by all means use the files and sandpaper for the first one. You'll always need those skills and tools and there are invaluable lessons to be learned from the effort ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Master

I would count that the first investment should be a full face respirator, earplugs, proper clothing (shorts . .. ouch!) and decent ventilation. This should come before any other tool. Or a half face respirator and safety glasses that form a seal, like goggles. Normal safety glasses are inadequate, although some may argue me on that. I've had flying metal bounce off my cheek and then into my eye, past the safety glasses. They have to drill those pieces out of your eyen with a small dremel (personal experience).

I would argue that to save money, get an angle grinder and cut off wheels instead of a metal cutting bandsaw. Yes a bandsaw is faster I'm sure but an angle grinder is plenty fast in my opinion. Get the $30 one with the cord, works great. Take the savings and buy a heavy duty bench vise. Theres nothing more frustrating then not having a good grip on your piece.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Master

My vote would be to build your own 2x72" sander ($200-400ish), and buy a small drill press ($100ish).

After that it depends on what types of knives you intend to make and how many. Like Ray said, a metal cutting bandsaw really comes in handy, and as Eli said an angle grinder can work too but is cheaper...an even cheaper option is to just drill out the profile of the knife on the drill press. Its definitely not the most efficient method but you can cut out 1 blade in about 5mins. If you're only making a few knives a month it won't eat up much of your time and the savings can be put into something else.

You'll probably want a buffer ( a modified bench grinder can work and is cheaper at around $50-100). Btw buffers look all cute and innocent sitting next to scarier tools like a forge and hydraulic press but don't let it fool you...they are quite dangerous. Always keep your mind on what you are doing.

Think about what types of knives you want to make then base the equipment around that. You can easily spend thousands and thousands of dollars on various equipment but some comes in handy more often than others depending on your designs. For example you probably won't need a forge if you're doing stainless blades. You probably won't need a rolling mill if you don't plan to forge much. You might not need a mill/router much at first...but if you do hidden tangs with 2 part handles it definitely comes in handy. etc.

Eli brings up a good point about safety equipment. And what he said about the goggles is right. Earlier this year I had a metal shaving make it into my eye around some goggles and I had to have the doc dig it out. Thankfully I got there before it started to rust or went in too deep and they removed it by digging around with a needle, instead of a rotary tool.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Master

YOW! A needle? I think a drill is preferable. Maybe. My piece was very small, they had to light it up with dye and lasers to see it, but rust wasn't the problem, the developing ulcer was. I didn't feel it when it went in, it wasn't until 3 days later that I was completely blind in the one eye and blind from sensitivity to light in the other healthy one. So know I if I feel like anything got in my eye I immediately flush it out. That's why I say get a full face respirator, that protects eyes and lungs.

I drilled out my profiles for a while and then hacksawed em out. I'm really not a fan. Except angle grinders are HOT. I bet you could HT a knife with an angle grinder lol. Set myself on fire a few times from the sparks . . . . . .
Old 06-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Jensen View Post
YOW! A needle? I think a drill is preferable. Maybe. My piece was very small, they had to light it up with dye and lasers to see it, but rust wasn't the problem, the developing ulcer was. I didn't feel it when it went in, it wasn't until 3 days later that I was completely blind in the one eye and blind from sensitivity to light in the other healthy one. So know I if I feel like anything got in my eye I immediately flush it out. That's why I say get a full face respirator, that protects eyes and lungs.

I drilled out my profiles for a while and then hacksawed em out. I'm really not a fan. Except angle grinders are HOT. I bet you could HT a knife with an angle grinder lol. Set myself on fire a few times from the sparks . . . . . .
The needle wasn't too bad..there was no pain, just pressure. Its the "sit very still and don't blink" while they poke your eye with a needle thats the hard part. Flushing it out any time you think there is something in your eye is always a good idea. In my case the shaving was big so I knew what happened. On another forum an eye doctor posted pics of people who got shavings in their eye and didn't go to the doc. The eye actually developed a brown rust ring around the area and they have to grind it out. Sounds horrible.

I don't like the hacksaw method either...me and hacksaws don't get along. What I did is drill 3/16" holes, keeping the holes close together, then jump to a 1/4" bit. If done right the holes connect and the piece falls apart. If you have a few thin areas a quick tap with a metal chisel pops them. But as you said, angle grinders are cheap and quick....its actually what we use right now. I have a bandsaw in the US(and plasma cutter which works very well), but not over here. Bandsaws are nice because they work good for cutting handle material as well.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Master

I'm even more motivated now to protect my eyes. Its so easy to skimp when its 90F and the sun is beating straight into the shed cause I just HAD to build it facing east. Wearing a full face respirator and sweating a lot is not fun.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice guys I think I'm gonna go with the grizzly grinder I already have a drill press and an angle grinder and I have all the safety equipment already since I refinish guns. If anyone can think of other knife specific tools I might need let me know even though I'm half scared of going blind now lol.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I would count that the first investment should be a full face respirator, earplugs, proper clothing (shorts . .. ouch!) and decent ventilation. This should come before any other tool. Or a half face respirator and safety glasses that form a seal, like goggles. Normal safety glasses are inadequate, although some may argue me on that. I've had flying metal bounce off my cheek and then into my eye, past the safety glasses. They have to drill those pieces out of your eyen with a small dremel (personal experience).

I would argue that to save money, get an angle grinder and cut off wheels instead of a metal cutting bandsaw. Yes a bandsaw is faster I'm sure but an angle grinder is plenty fast in my opinion. Get the $30 one with the cord, works great. Take the savings and buy a heavy duty bench vise. Theres nothing more frustrating then not having a good grip on your piece.

Eli, do you have a full face respirator that you recommend. Im looking to get one since Im new to this too but there are so many to choose from.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay1980 View Post
If anyone can think of other knife specific tools I might need let me know even though I'm half scared of going blind now lol.
disc grinder is a very handy tool as well, I use mine alot !! 2x72 for taking off the meat and the disc from there on for me ,I had a spare 1750 rpm motor on the shelf , frwrd-reverse swith and a 1 degree bevel disc from Beaumont and your set , total cost......motor was a spare , frwd revers switch $20 , disc $80 , cheap cheap for a very useful tool
Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Master

I have the 3m 6000 series. The different numbers in the series is just the size difference. I have the 6900 which is the large. They run about $100-200, but I got mine for $80 on an ebay auction. Ebay also has good deals on the replacement filters. I also have 3Ms half face for things like sanding handles, its a bit more comfortable.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the info. After hearing about eyes and needles....I'm going to get one. Right now I don't have anything for my eyes. I dont think I will grind anymore until I get one.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Master

Quote:
I'm even more motivated now to protect my eyes. Its so easy to skimp when its 90F and the sun is beating straight into the shed cause I just HAD to build it facing east. Wearing a full face respirator and sweating a lot is not fun.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm currently living in the Philippines 1/4 mile from the beach...high heat, high humidity, small shop= lotsa sweat. I skipped a full face setup for that reason. I was using the full wrap around goggles with the 1/16" holes drilled around the edges for ventilation. I've no idea how a shaving from grinding managed to make it by the magnets(dust collectors), the ambient dust filter, the fan blowing away from me, through the hole in goggles, and into my eye.

It was actually the second time I had to have metal removed from my eye...the first time was from working on a cars exhaust system years ago, this time was the first time in 20yrs of grinding its happened.

Moral of the story: the chances of something happening may be slim but the more you risk it the greater the chance....and taking less safety precautions really increases the chances.

Sorry to get offtopic, stay safe guys.

Tags
advice, angle, art, bee, blade, build, drill, easy, file, files, fire, forge, grinding, handle, hidden, hot, hydraulic press, knife, knives, made, make, material, press, tools, wood