MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Guru

ran into problem doing handle

So i ran in a problem i was grinding a handle after epoxy and got it all done before noticing there is a small gap between tang and material on the front of the spine idk maybe not enough epoxy or wiped to much off either way its there so i am trying to figure out how to fill it . its small so i cant fit a "oral syringe" in there that i use to measure the epoxy i tried a insulin syringe with a metal tip but the epoxy is to thick to squeeze out the tip the gap is so small i think if i just poured the epoxy on and hoped for the best i think it would be to thick to seep down into the gap.....its small but noticeable has this happened to any one any ideas how to fix it?
Old 07-29-2016, 05:08 PM
Skilled

make cup out of aluminum foil... mix up epoxy and heat it up a bit. it will get super runny. itll also reduce the cure time to half or less, so be ready to go to it as soon as you mix them.
with as small as your saying, a drop on a tooth pick, and drip it at one end of the gap, and let it flow itself in. once its filled, scrape off excess with tooth pick. wait till cured, and sand it to finish.

that or super glue fill it.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:26 PM
Guru

great thanks damon yeh i wouldnt of though of heating it up good idea i did think of the super glue idea but i would rather keep it all epoxy if posible i am going to go try it right now i am using acra glass wich has a long set up time anyway so that shouldnt be a problem i am pritty quick at it now in the begining i had jb weld set up to quick on me or maybe it was me that was to slow
Old 07-29-2016, 05:51 PM
Guru

I have a bottle of Krazy Glue that has a brush specifically for small gap problems. I forgot about the heating of epoxy to make it runny. That's a good idea too. Most epoxies will melt at around 230 degrees which is one of the best reasons not to put knives in the dishwasher. I have removed epoxied handles by heating them and then prying them apart. If I make kitchen knives then its loveless or corby screws.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Guru

a brush for narrow spots? i thought the brushes are for big areas and the tips for small?? even the small tip on the crazy glue wont fit. didnt have a chance to try and fix it tonight ill do it tomorw i was to busy HT next batch of 10 knives. ya know i have heard people say dont put it in the dishwasher but never knew why but deffinitly makes sense....so when you do a kitchen knife you dont put any epoxy just bolts...most of the time i use corbys and epoxy but thats good to know one out of this batch is a kitchen knife for my neighbor
Old 07-30-2016, 12:06 AM
Skilled

acra glass...... uummm.... I'm not sure if that trick will work with that stuff. guess yo could try and let us know how it goes.

kitchen blades..... I use corby rivets, and acra glass, or loc-tite 7075/324 (what I call "god commands the to stay" glue)
Old 07-30-2016, 12:44 AM
Hall of Famer

Not only will the heat of a dishwasher loosen the epoxy, the plain carbon steel will rust and the stainless steel will be attacked by the dish washing soap. All knives will be dulled by being washed in a dishwasher If you make a kitchen knife tell the buyer it's not dishwasher safe. All knives should be washed, dried, and put away.

Doug

Old 07-30-2016, 05:10 AM

Amen! Preacher Doug. Most folks are just to lazy to hand wash anymore.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-30-2016, 10:48 AM
Guru

i am going to try and heat the acra glass in a few mins and do a small test first ill let ya know how it works....if not i am just going to fill it with crazy glue....at first i was thinking of leaving the epoxy or crazy glue plain clear but the handle material is black and yellow g10 (i know ugly little bubble bee) but thats what she wanted....i thought maybe grinding black g10 and mixing it in the epoxy it might blend it a lil better again not sure going to do some test on small pieces....now if i went the crazy glue route (thin liquid not the gel) i couldnt do that right the glue would dry to quick to mix has any one heard of a way of making it not dry long enough to quickly mix in a cup then pour down a toothpick or needle into the crack? thanks guys for the help this blade is for one of my half sisters (she is actually paying me probilly not as much as i would ask for else where but its something) but she lives in massachusettes and her son works as a tatoo artist and there is a knife shop (there arent enough of those any more) behind where he works so he offered to show him some of my work and ask if he would sell a few of my blades out of the shop so i know my sis is going to show this to him so i want it to come out right or as good as it can now but the more that i think about it if this doesnt make this tiny little gap un noticable (it is tiny) i may just send her back with 1 or 2 of my other knives that dont have this issue and tell her to keep her lil bubble bee to herself
Old 07-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Guru

Dtec you're overthinking this.

The Krazy Glue I use with the little brush is thin and will wick into the gap. A little acetone based nail polish remover will thin the glue even more. That is why I have it. You said the gap is tiny, I've used KG to fill up gaps that weren't so tiny. It will dry clear yes, but as it's drying take a black marker pen and put it on there. Don't use child safe markers, but that stuff that makes fumes. It will wick into the gap while the glue sets up and turn the glue black or blackish.

Doug you are totally right, but I just sold a set of three kitchen knives and the buyer insisted they be dishwasher safe. I warned him that he would have to polish the knives if they were put in the dw too much, he didn't care so OK.
I used a pretty gemstone looking acrylic that I'll never use with a full tang again as trying to get the plastic-metal juncture was nigh on impossible to get smooth. I pride myself on making handles where you cannot feel the pins or tang. I would sand it even and polish and the tang would stick out again. Took diamond polish to make it acceptable to me, but I'll make hidden tangs from now on out with plastic handles. I do not understand why wood doesn't do the same thing as badly. He wants me to make 5 more sets for his daughters and for what I'm charging, acrylic and G10 it is.

The customer is always right. He's an old family friend and I made a small paring knife for him for free, because it belonged to his adoptive Mother and I handled it with a new one to match the set I sold him and polished it up. That little act of kindness according to his wife made him cry. So when you can, do something nice for someone. Makes you feel good and the world a little better.

Last edited by jimmontg; 07-30-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:06 AM
Guru

jimmontg....yeh i do that alot (over think things) i think i am just going to do it with crazy glue insted of epoxy and see what happens if it comes out like crap i have another blade for myself and i will make another for her. i didnt try it yesterday it was one of those days i kept making small stupid mistakes that i normally wouldnt i have learned those days are time to take a break...ill see how to day goes

Tags
degrees, epoxy, glue, grinding, handle, handles, heat, how to, kitchen, kitchen knife, kitchen knives, knife, knives, loveless, make, material, metal, problem, rivets, sand, screws, small, tang, tips, weld