MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
A great time with my Daughter!

Not a whole lot of knife content in this post.....except that we used in the end.

Monday of this week I got a surprise call from a Rancher Friend of mine, saying "Let's take Mandi hunting!" We took off from the house around 10am, and took about a 1 1/2 hour drive to 32,000 acres located on the Smith River here in Montana. After several miles of ranch roads, we stopped, and my friend pointed out an area for Mandi and I to "hunt". We geared up and headed out.....

After slipping through a couple of coulees (valleys), we came to an area that overlooked the entire valley floor......

If you can't see it in the photo...there are 4 elk at the end of the arrow.

With no cover, we had to use the contours of the terrain to stay outta sight. The wind was in our favor, so we skirted around until we ran out of anything to hide our approach. For about the last 100 yrds we low crawled. We ended up about 150ft above them, and the range finder put us at 290 yards.

Mandi settled in for a kneeling shot, and got ready. I backed her up. I was watching the elk she shot at through my scope, and when she shot, I saw it jump/huntch. Thinking it was going down, I swung on a second one, and dropped it with my .280 Rem. I lowered my gun and saw Mandi's elk just goin over the lip of a coulee, expecting it to drop before it made the bottom.
We stood up, and started down the hill. We went straight to where I saw Mandi's elk last....no hair, no blood! I back tracked it to where it was standing, and found a trench in the ground right where it had been standing! We searched for the next hour, for any sign that the elk had been hit, and found nothing. NUTS!

Then came the work. For those who haven't done it, there's nothing easy about gutting an elk. They are just big. Although Mandi didn't bag one this time, my friend said "we'll get her back out a couple more times before the end of the season." This time the only gun I'll take is my pistol, and work ready hard to get Mandi and elk, and/or a nice Mule Deer.
OH! Here's ther results of our stalk.....

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Master

Great story Ed, thanks for taking the time and posting up the pictures. Great looking country side, and doesn't look like the weather hung you folks up too much. I'm watching for the updates when Mandi gets her elk. Remind her to keep that in state option going so she has to visit next fall to do it again.

Take care, and a great Thanksgiving, Craig
Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Steel Addict

Sweet! Send me some backstrap! As the dad of four daughters I know what it is like to have a great day in the woods with my girls. No matter that she missed and regardless of her age she will always rember the time in the woods with her "dad".
Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Steel Addict

Great story. I know that you feel bad that your daughter didnt get the kill. Congratulations on the kill. You have had a rough year. Know that you are in our prayers.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Steel Addict

Oh and you might want to youtube the gutless quartering of deer and elk. I have been doing it this way for years. Much cleaner and lighter to pack it out.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Skilled

That's AWESOME Ed! That's what it's all about. I'm not talking about the elk either (though that's a nice bonus).

I'm glad that you got to get out and do that...........for both of you. I'm sure both of you will always remember and treasure that trip.

The 1 1/2 hour road time each way was probably as valuable as anything on the hunt........unless I miss my guess.

Thanks for posting.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for posting Ed. Great that you and your daughter could enjoy a hunt together.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast

Great story and pics, Always great when you can spend good time in the field like that with those who are dear to you.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Steel Addict

Great time! Anytime we can get out and spend time with our kids is a good day in my book!

Matthew 6:33 - It's how I seek to live.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures! Really put a smile on my day!!

Old 11-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Mandi picked up the meat from the processor this evening.....MMMMMMM! Nothing like fresh elk burgers on the grill! Gona eat good this winter!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caffrey View Post
Mandi picked up the meat from the processor this evening.....MMMMMMM! Nothing like fresh elk burgers on the grill! Gona eat good this winter!
OK now your just braggin! I've only had Elk once, and loved it. Congrats on the fine eating as well as the memories made!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:06 AM
Skilled

Ed, Great story and the pics beautiful country. Bonus score on the elk.

Bing

Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Skilled

WOW I am Jealous o your Elk I wish we had them round here as a regular season they are all draw hunts and very limited at that . well deer season is open here and gun starts on thanksgiving day a Truly tradition for me to hunt the morn of Turkey Day for many a year now . Congratulation Brother I am very Happy to see you up and about and having a great time and with your Daughter too one could not ask for a much better time to enjoy . God Bless you and your Family your are still in our prayers Daily too .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 11-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for sharing the pics and story, Ed. Those are the kind of memories we never forget, as father or child. Enjoy an elk steak for me .

Jeremy

Tags
arrow, awesome, bee, easy, forge, gun, hunting, knife, made, pistol, post, woods