MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 PM

My Pine Cone Knife

I made this handle from a Pine Cone I found up in the Mountains at Big Bear Lake in California.
The Jeans, I found in my cloths closet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1886.JPG (278.1 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1904.JPG (478.8 KB, 173 views)
Old 06-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Steel Addict

That is a very nice knife!

Can you tell more about the making of the handles?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 AM

Jeff,

It's a slow process but a fun one. I've made a few of these and they sell like hotcakes! I start with a fully CLOSED and hard pine cone. They are not as fragile and easier to work with.

I then slice the cone in half on my band saw, base end to the blade first. Careful, if it disintegrates your cone wasn't hard enough. Get another one and start over.

Go to you local Target or Kmart and get 2 of those little hard aluminum small meatloaf pans $2.48 each.

You'll also need a can of fiberglass Resin (Home Depot paint Dept) about $15.00 and a little white paint.

Now, spray the two pans with a little PAM cookiing spray, It seems to help with the release of the resin.

Cut the top off of a coke can or other suitable mixing container. and pour your resin in it. Do not add the catalyst yet. Add some white (or other color paint) to the resin. Mix it really well. Since the resin is a coffee type color it seems to dry a little darker then what appears in the mixing container, so I make mine really wihite. (Looking for that Bone or Ivory look on the final product) When mixed throughly, add the catalyst and stir again thoroughly.

Now pour some of the resin in each pan, just enough to cover the bottom. Place the sliced cones FLAT Side Down into the pans and pour the remaining resien evenly over each cone. Slowly so the the material penetrates the cone in all areas.

Because we mixed the resign with paint it will take a very long time to harden. I set mine in the sun and it seems to take about 8 hrs for it to harden. I then turn the pan upside down and lightly but firmly tap the bottom and sides with a rubber mallet to release the resign.

Now you have two pieces of cone encased in resin, treat it like you would any piece of wood and begin your handle making process. To finish it off, I sand it up to 400 grit, then use 0000 steel wool. Then several coats of superglue to harden the finish and a trip to the buffer wheel. I've attached a pic of what is the final product ready for sanding and attachment.

Good Luck, hope you try it.

Tommy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1905.jpg (422.3 KB, 97 views)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Master

What pine species?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:01 PM

I'm not sure what species, I'm sure any cone you find would work. Just be sure it is hard and completely closed. I find that the new not matured cones work the best.

I've attached a picture of the cone I'll use for my next one I make. I measures about 4" long.

Tommy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1908.jpg (384.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Steel Addict

Tommy

First of all I would like to say Thank You Very Much, for your reply and explaination.

I guess I was expecting some type of vacuum process to impregnate the resin into the pine cone like so many others do. But I am glad to see things can still be made beautiful, using simple old school methods.

Sometimes we over think and over complicate things.

Again Thank You for sharing.

Jeff

Tags
art, blade, handle, harden, home, ivory, knife, made, make, material, paint, resin, sand, simple, spray, steel, wood