MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Guru

hey guys...i watched a video last night where a guy etched a billet many times (during each step) during a damascus project. to show what the different steps produce. one of my questions is if i forge welded (or think i did) but hadn't started drawing out the billet if i grinded down the surface and then etched would it help to inspect the billet and see if the forge welds had taken hold good? also how long does the etching stuff last how many times can i use it over and over again? i have the PCB stuff from radio shack i think its ferric choride

hey guys...i watched a video last night where a guy etched a billet many times (during each step) during a damascus project. to show what the different steps produce. one of my questions is if i forge welded (or think i did) but hadn't started drawing out the billet if i grinded down the surface and then etched would it help to inspect the billet and see if the forge welds had taken hold good? also how long does the etching stuff last how many times can i use it over and over again? i have the PCB stuff from radio shack i think its ferric choride

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 09-14-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 09-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

How would you know by looking at it if the weld took or not? A little stickiness looks the same as a solid weld, the only way to know the difference is to turn the billet on its side and hammer at it to see if it separates.

The etchant lasts a very long time unless you manage to pollute it by getting some copper or brass etc in it. It gets weaker over time but adding some fresh solution to it can spiff it up although its probably smarter to just replace it every year or so (depending on how much you use it) ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-14-2015, 07:21 PM
Guru

when you say turn it on its side and hit it to see if it comes apart you mean when its hot or when its cold? hot right? i have done that when hot and nothing came apart
Old 09-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Skilled

If you use a slicer blade and cut it (while it's cool) you should be able to see any places that didn't weld up. They will show up as a black line. The steel should show no sign that it was ever made of multiple pieces (where you cut it).
Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yes, when its hot. Sounds like you have a weld....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
billet, blade, brass, cold, damascus, etched, etching, forge, hammer, hot, knife, made, project, show, steel, surface, video, weld