MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:25 AM
Enthusiast

first few free hand grind knives

these are my first three knives to free hand grind, its not as hard as I had thought just have to go slow. these are d2 tool steel 60-61 HRC. the first knife is afzelia burl with natural and micarta and white g-10 liners stainless corby bolts. the second is toxic Kirinite handles with carbon fiber pins and the third is buckeye burl with ivory micarta bolsters with carbon fiber pins. thanks for looking. feedback welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1640 - Copy.JPG (179.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1804.JPG (221.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1808.JPG (138.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-23-2015, 06:31 AM
Steel Addict

Those are BEAUTIFUL. So you just epoxied them together on the pins? I KNOW you can't hammer expand the pins on it and the Kirinite looks a lot like some acrylic I want to work with but was leery of trying to expand pins in to lock them down. Also, can you tell me what kind of epoxy you use on them? Right now I'm using a concrete/steel epoxy that works but it's hard to get a good layer put down and I KNOW I could be using better stuff if I knew more about what to search up.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanBeasley View Post
Those are BEAUTIFUL. So you just epoxied them together on the pins? I KNOW you can't hammer expand the pins on it and the Kirinite looks a lot like some acrylic I want to work with but was leery of trying to expand pins in to lock them down. Also, can you tell me what kind of epoxy you use on them? Right now I'm using a concrete/steel epoxy that works but it's hard to get a good layer put down and I KNOW I could be using better stuff if I knew more about what to search up.
you shouldn't have to hammer your pins for your handles to stay on, if even 2 ton devcon epoxy isn't working you are doing something wrong, either not prepping the blade and handles correctly or you are getting them to hot when sanding and profiling the handle material. I use acraglass you can get it from jantz or brownells it is a rifle bedding compound, you will need syringes to measure it out in parts as it is 4 to 1 ratio. ive been using it for about a year now and I love it. just don't use the bag of glass the kit comes with throw it away. one more thing if you can bead blast the tang of your knife before epoxying this seriously increases your surface area and increases the bond between metal and handle material. just tape it off real good just behind the front of the handle material so you don't bead blast your ricasso.

thank you.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 AM
Steel Addict

I WISH I was already set up to do media blasting. The only times I've had scales lift off were from operator error. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some hidden secret to the pins on knives like this. All I've done so far is brass rod from Ace Hardware cut to length and hammer expanded to be as sure as possible that it isn't moving.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:24 AM
Enthusiast

just be sure everything is clean use 60 grit to rough up the tang if you cant bead blast, I use denatured alcohol to clean.

when you peen your pins you take the chance of cracking your handle material especially wood.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Skilled

Nothing to criticize here, that's some gorgeous work. You said those were your first 3 freehand grinds so were you using a jig before?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter10139 View Post
Nothing to criticize here, that's some gorgeous work. You said those were your first 3 freehand grinds so were you using a jig before?
yes I was using a big tool rest and would clamp the blade to a piece of angle iron and then just set my platen to an angle and work it up to a full flat grind.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Those are some outstanding knives.

Doug

Old 02-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Skilled

Good work! The azfelia burl is very cool looking. Overall, great attention to fit & finish.

Dan
Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Steel Addict

Those look great the true test is to take a picture of both sides, same angle, same distance, the same everything with the pic.

Then lay the two pics side by side and compare them. The human eye is forgiving but when you have both sides staring at you, the eye has something to reference against and the forgiving side of the eye goes out the window.

You then start really scrutinizing both pics to see if there are any differences. If there is you will pick up, the differences believe me!! That is why you want the pics the same. A tripod works great to keep everything in the pic the same,except for the side. I have taken pics of a knife and start studying the pic and realize wow, what is that is that a flaw. I had not noticed that before and if you don't get the same angle you are looking to see if it was a slightly different angle, was it flash in this pic and not the other. The camera don't lie!!

If the other side of those are as good as the side in the pics, you are on your way to great things!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 02-23-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast

thank yall. c craft I will do that on the next one and see how looks

Tags
blade, bolsters, brass, burl, carbon, d2 tool steel, epoxy, grind, hammer, hand, handles, ivory, jig, kirinite, kit, knife, knives, lock, micarta, pins, stainless, steel, tang, what kind, white