MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:45 AM

MM - Are you using both speeds on your pump motor (most of them are two stage)? Just curious.

MPR - Not much on H grinding these days (did too many in the first 20+ years), but have had the occasion to work on a Griz with both wheels and found the smaller one most aggravating.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Steel Addict

The grizzly is a good grinder for the money. I still use mine extensively and for flat grinding I like it better than my burr king. I would definitely save up and spring for the grizzly.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
MM - Are you using both speeds on your pump motor (most of them are two stage)? Just curious.

MPR - Not much on H grinding these days (did too many in the first 20+ years), but have had the occasion to work on a Griz with both wheels and found the smaller one most aggravating.
Just started using the high speed tonight to put the hollow grind on. I was just using it to shape the blank after initial cutting because it removes metal pretty darn fast. I ground out the hollow in literally 1/3 the time that it takes at the slower speed. But as you know mistakes happen faster at faster speeds. Right now I still am better at controlling the grind when using my right hand( I free hand without a rest or jig) than with my left so I went high speed with my right and then started out on the lower speed with my left, got the hollow started and the plunge line set and then cranked it up. I really like it but have to figure out a system to protect the motor from dust.

MM
Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 AM

Hmmm, the one I salvaged out of an old hottub/jac is a water tight 2.5 hp model (not explosion proof, but should have no dust issues). Just haven't put it to work yet.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Skilled

Here is my KMG type Grinder Yes I built it .

http://imgur.com/BSMnVIc,Untvt0L,9Bv...9gBa9M,TRNNnj2

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

That boy can fabricate!!

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cro View Post
Here is my KMG type Grinder Yes I built it .

http://imgur.com/BSMnVIc,Untvt0L,9Bv...9gBa9M,TRNNnj2

Sam
Oh yeah well mine can run a hot tub too

MM

P.S. That is a heck of a job of fabricating
Old 08-24-2013, 04:37 AM

Little too clean there Sam!
Nice work, If I saw it I would pretty much think it was a KMG. Wound up mounting mine on a roll around stand with locking wheels so I can move it about the shop when I need the room for something else (and clean behind it). I have a very small inside shop, but my outdoor forge shop is nice and roomy and away from the house a very safe distance. A recommendation from one of my earlier students....an insurance agent.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Steel Addict

I built my own as well, glad I did instead of going with a grizzly or the like, much more versatile and about the same price.

Sam, awesome job... my only problem is I'm not sure which I'm more jealous of, the grinder or the shop, I think I'll have to lean towards the shop. Been looking at building a new building, my shop now leaves everything to be desired.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Skilled

Thank you guys I do love the shop as well yea it is clean but no tripping over things that way I started with the Ol Mike Cox KMG Type plans and it was a bit lacking on the final plans (some things would not work as printed ) I later found out http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/shop/ made them and looked at theirs for some of the questions I had about the build . I made it more user friendly for me by adding extra lock down pins to the tension arm for belt changes ,quick release for platen to wheel , and several attachments are in the works for an adjustable rotatory work rest ,small wheel attachment , and as Crex stated making it mobile as it does have quit a bit of weight to it . this baby runs so smooth you have to look at the belt to see if it is running . ( there is absolutely no vibration at all when it is running , it is like a whisper ) thank you for the kind words about the fabrication also . my build came in just under $2200.00 US dollars and took me about two months from start to finish .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !

Tags
2x72, advice, angle, art, bearing, bee, blades, blaze, brand, brass, christmas, conversion, craftsman, g10, iron, knife, knives, made, make, package, problem, products, project, steel, weld