MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 AM

Choosing Grinders

I am ready to purchase a belt sander. I can afford either the Craftsman 2"x42" or the Harbor Freight 1"x30". I know this topic has been beaten to death but I am on the fence and I need a push. I am leaning towards the Craftsman. Any reason for me to save $100 and get the Harbor Freight instead?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

That's not even a real question. There's no comparison whatsoever between any 1x30 and a 2x42. The 1x30 is close to being useless, a 2x42 is still not a 2x72 (which is what you really need) but it will get the job done within its limitations ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Skilled

I bought a harbor freight (the 4 inch model) and used it for about two weeks till I decided it was not worth the hassle. It was an underpowered piece of junk, simply touching a piece of wood to it would bring it to a stop. It sits in a box till I decide wether to throw it away or mount a real motor to it.

If you are chomping at the bit and can't afford 600-1000 for one of the less expensive 2X72 grinders, the Craftsman should be better, but it is not without it's limitations and problems. If you are currently useing files to make knives it will be an upgrade.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Skilled

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_arthur View Post
If you are currently useing files to make knives it will be an upgrade.
I've been using files for almost a year now and it has upgraded my arms.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 AM

Craftsman it is!

I figured as much. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Master

Get a Ryobi 4x36. It is not the greatest but definitely usable
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM

Really? From what I've read, the Craftsman 2x42 is better than the Ryobi 4x36 for grinding bevels.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Master

Well its what I use and I think it works just dandy. But in full disclosure I've never used the craftsman so . . . .
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM

Get the best you can afford......a little patcience and determination to hold off can pay huge bonuses.
If you are determined to grind blades (steel), get the strongest motor you can safely use in your shop (electrical load). You will find the greatest variety of belts/grits/styles in the 2x72 range. Sure, the bigger belt grinders cost a bit more but they will outlast any of the smaller ones 10:1 on same work loads.
If you can get by a makers' shop and try out a few....all this will be obvious in short order.
I too, started with a small craftsman....collects way more dust than she ever made, but I did use her hard as possible.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Skilled

dogfisher1...To my knowledge, there is simply no 1 x 30 belt sander out there that is worthy of the task. It MIGHT be better than using files, but even that it questionable. The 2 x XXX belts lend themselves to knife grinding. I used a 1 x 42 fof awhile until I tried a 2 x 72 and it was lights out the better choice. The 2 x 72 grinders are definitely pricier...but the price difference is not as great as the performance difference. This is really a no-brainer in my opinion. Also as mentioned in another reply, the various grits available in the 2 x 72 format is much greater unless you have belts specifically made for your grinder. The belt mfr's have picked up on the industry standard of the 2 x 72 format and have made their belts available in grits to specifically accomodate us knife makers. The 2 x 42 is not far behind....and it is definitely cheaper and that is for a reason...but it is a reasonable choice until you can afford the 2 x 72 grinders. The 2 x 42 belts will not last nearly as long as do the 2 x 72 belts...and they do tend to get expensive after awhile.
In any event, be sure you get a unit that is sufficiently powered to do the job. The 1 x 30 sander/grinders simply don't have enough balls to do the job.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I agree with Carl and Ed T........Save your pennies and buy a 2x72 machine! I can speak from experience when I tell you that here's what will happen...... You'll spend the money on a 1" X xx, and and get disgusted with it in short order, then you'll start looking for something else, and maybe "step up" to a 2x48 machine.....but again, you'll find although it might be a "better" grinder then a 1" X xx, you'll quickly become disenchanted with it too......and so on. By the time you get to the point of "biting the bullet" and buying a good 2x72 machine, you'll have had spent enough $$$ to have purchased 2 or 3 2x72 machines.

I've been at this a LOT of years, and I have seen the scenario plays itself out time and time again.....do yourself a favor.....save up and get a 2x72......it might take some time (took me 3 years to save up for my first 2x72 machine.....a Wilton Square Wheel....at that time it was a whopping $519.00!) tells you how long ago that was. That machine is still in operation in my shop....after nearly 30 years of use. I don't doubt that I could sell it today for more then I initially paid for it.

We each have to do what's within our limits, but I encourage you to only spend your money "once", and get a "good" 2x72 machine.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Steel Addict

What Ed said.

My path was almost exactly like he described. While my Craftsman was better than hand files, it was way too underpowered and I burnt out the motor on my second blade. My Craftsman also had a cheap plastic platen that wore out pretty quickly, too. Try getting them to honour the warranty after that. What a pain.

I saved some cash by not eating out so much and put the extra finances toward a decent 2 x 72 machine and never looked back.

Jim T
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM

Can you build your own 2X72 sander or is it better just to save up and purchase one?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Skilled

There's plans available for a KMG "clone", USA Knifemaker has plans available for a "No Weld Grinder" for $20 I think

Its not a bad option if you have more time than money.

The quality is directly related to how precise you are building it, though unless you are a machinist the quality wont be at the same level as a KMG, etc

One other point on the commercial 2 X 72 grinders, if you ever get out of knife making you wont lose much $ selling it
Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 AM

"One other point on the commercial 2 X 72 grinders, if you ever get out of knife making you wont lose much $ selling it"
Very true, plus you won't believe how many times you'll switch that badboy on to do other chores in your shop.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
art, back, bee, blade, blades, build, building, craftsman, files, grinding, hand, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, lights, made, make, making, mount, plastic, steel, throw, weld, wood