MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 02-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Steel Addict

"Loring Air Force Base"

Loring was a SAC base(Strategic Air Command) home of B-52's, KC-135's and a squadron
of F-106 Deltas...I was assigned to the HQ Btry, AADCP(Army Air Defense Command Post) our
job was to track all incoming flights in our area...If a flight did not identify itself, the 106's would
be scrambled to go look them over....more than once, back then, they would turn out to be only
large flocks of geese...
I was pleasantly surprised to find instead of a squad bay, we had our own rooms, two guys
to a room.Depending on the duty roster, we usually could count on weekends off.Of course the
command post was manned 24/7...it was like a regular job.We still caught KP once in a awhile,
but it wasn't nearly as brutal as basic training, where you had to get up at 3am.
After all the screaming and yelling in basic,it was great....I finally had time to practice on the
old guitar.Even bought a new set of strings..after all, I was knocking down 78 bucks a month!

Old 02-27-2019, 03:40 PM
Steel Addict

Of course at that time the minimum wage was .50 cents an hour so you were doing pretty good. Free room and board and still money in your pocket.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:57 PM
Steel Addict

Yep, by buying stuff at the PX,where things were dirt cheap, I was even able to send money home...

Old 02-27-2019, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

I thought you were old enough to actually know the Wright Brothers.

I had to look up where Loring was. Dang! That's a cold place! Base closed in 1994.

Tags
a, army, back, base, cheap, cold, comma, home, identify, pocket, post