MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 07-08-2020, 08:41 AM
Steel Addict

First knife in a long long time :-)

So it's been so long since i finished something, but then I got an order from a friends friend and voila, stuff starts happening again.

Its not the greats inovation within knifemaking, but im very please with the result.

Hope you like it :-)

Price: 60 USD

Overall length: 22 cm
Blade length: 10 cm
Blade Width: 3.2 mm
Steel: 80crv2

Guard/Spacers: Brass, white corian, black volcanized fibre
Handle: Oak

Old 07-08-2020, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

Very nice! Love the handle.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:14 AM
Guru

$60 us?

You should charge at least double that Rasmus. Your knife is well worth that and more. I would've charged that as I'm not well known either, if I was well known that would be a $200 knife.
That is a beautiful knife.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:22 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks a lot, Means a lot to me :-)
This is still just a hobby for me, I charge for the materials I use and then a bit extra so i can afford to buy some more :-)

I still struggle with polished finish, but I don't have a buffer, so I think that might make it a bit more difficult to achieve that mirror.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:08 PM
Guru

I grind down to 220 finish and then hand sand a 400 grit linear finish until I get all the vertical grind lines out. I then put 500 grit diamond compound onto a leather strop glued to a piece of wood and work it about 10 minutes each side and though it isn't a mirror finish, it shines like one. If I want a mirror finish I hit it with 900 grit diamond and then 1500 grit diamond and even D2 looks like it's been buffed without the orange peel effect. It still isn't exactly mirror polished, but it's hard to tell because it is so shiny.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

The spacer work is beautiful - easily some of the best I've ever seen.

Yeah, getting that mirror finish on the blade would help your price a bit, but still I wouldn't sell yourself short on that effort. Nice job.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:16 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
I grind down to 220 finish and then hand sand a 400 grit linear finish until I get all the vertical grind lines out. I then put 500 grit diamond compound onto a leather strop... .
That sounds interrsting! I Will give it a go. Never tried Diamondpaste before. Do you apply it to the front or the back side of the leather?
Old 07-18-2020, 02:12 PM
Guru

Backside

It just kind of comes off the smooth side of the leather and doesn't leave much. Use veg tan leather as it seems to work the best. I use oil based over water based as it lasts longer. I also use diamond paste up to 1 micron or 16,000 grit for buffing the edges of my leather cutting knives. Diamond paste is much more aggressive than buffing compounds especially on hardened steels.

I use a three inch or 8 centimeter soft cotton buffing wheels attached to 6mm shafts on my drill press for buffing exotic hardwoods or G-10/Micarta handles with 5,000 grit diamond compound on it. It doesn't take a lot of compound to really make my handles shine. With Desert Ironwood when buffed to a mirror polish you can actually see silicate crystals in the wood with a 5x magnifying glass, it's why the wood is so dense and hard and why it ruins saw blades.

Note; Do not use any kind of polishing compound on an open grain wood like Wenge wood as the compound will get stuck in the crevices. Sand to a high grit, 2000 grit is usually good enough to give the polished look. I then buff with a clean cotton buff and it looks polished.

Tags
a, base, bee, black, brass, buffer, buy, ca, diamond, finish, first knife, handle, hobby, knife, knifemaking, knives, leather, make, materials, mirror, sand, spacers, white, wood, worth