MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

Heating a cold shop

Hey everyone.

Winter is approaching and it is getting cold for some northern folks if you are like me and don't have heat in the knife shop. I kinda converted my single car garage into my knife shop and it is getting "brisk" out there with temps in the 30s.

Any tips or tricks to staying warm on the cheap? Portable propane or electric heaters? How do you stay warm?

What about condensation? With changes in temp I don't want to create any moisture. I have read that propane heat causes moisture but I am not sure how significant it would be. I certainly don't want rust issues.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Skilled

I've got a cheap electric directional heater. It works, sort of.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Steel Addict

Never had a problem with rust from my propane burner. Got a dual one that sits on top of the tank. But then again, I wasn't making knives during the couple of months it actually gets cold in South Georgia either. Good thing, we have a three bay garage (1 bay for shop) with 18 foot ceilings, not sure I could handle "real" cold out there!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I have a 220V 5000w electric wall heater that is set to maintain 40 F in the shop. A good pair of long johns, a knit cap, fingerless gloves, and an old Army field jacket which does double duty as an apron to keep my clothes more or less clean and I'm all set ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Skilled

I suppose a key component is going to be insulation. If you or whoever built the garage/house insulated well,it allows a smaller heater be more effective. Body heat, and the heat generated from machines is going to have some effect as well, however significant...

I installed a bunch of insulation and paneled the walls with 1/4" chip board in my 8x10 garden shed. Ran electricity and bam...instant personal workspace

A small electric heater that's just 110 gets warm pretty quickly.

Hope my meager 2cents helps you, good luck!

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Last edited by ATalley; 10-29-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:25 AM

Biggest issue is your feet. Once they get cold, size of heater won't matter all that much. I put the interlocking foam pads down on my converted garage bay, insulated the walls and replaced the old flimsy garage door with an insulated one that seals up well. Now just use a small space heater as needed.
Don't need heat out at the forging shed. Just drop a chunk of heated steel on the ground and stand on it (kidding of course). Never seems to be an issue out there once I get the wind/draft blocked off.

Of course all this is mute as far as you are concerned.....it doesn't get Michigan cold down here.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the helpful tips! I definitely need to insulate my walls and I like the idea of the interlocking foam pads. And I think I am going to start shopping for an electric heater.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Skilled

Being from the great state of Texas we rarely have those kinda problems. But it can get cold here, I've got a little 110 volt heater in my shop, if it gets to cold I just find some in the house work to do.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 PM

Look on craigslist for an old wood stove?

If your garage is connected to your house just leave the door open and let the house heat it up. that's what i do.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Skilled

In Northern Alberta we get to -40?C(-40?F) on occasion, but it's the steady two weeks at -25?C(-13?F) that soaks in. I have R20 insulation in the garage. The roll-up doors are insulated as well. Un/fortunately my garage is 24'x48' and nearly impossible to heat satisfactorily on super cold days. I have a "Mr. Heater" propane construction type heater (50,000 BTU) running on a 20lb tank that I run to take the chill off. I then use portable electric utility heaters, 1500W electric type for areas around the bench. Another handy feature is an infrared lamp that shines over my vice. This is a great hand warmer.

Another thing that shouldn't be overlooked is keeping one's feet off the concrete. I have a series of old mats around the work benches. Warm boots and a hat make all the difference. If I need something to dry, cure, paint, glue etc. I bring it on the house.

I have entertained installing a wood burning stove, just haven't got around to it.

Good luck in keeping warm!

Dan
Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Dan,

Another thing to consider is a pellet stove. They don't put out the heat that a standard wood stove does but they do put it out steadily and without any need for you to mess with it which is an advantage if you're trying to work. Plus, you can stack a ton of pellets in the corner without worrying about the mess that goes with wood (not to mention all the hibernating insects that thaw out in your shop). They use very little electricity and it's easy and cheaper to have a lot of pellets on hand than a lot of propane.

Anyway, I have both pellet and wood stoves in my place and most of the businesses in the local towns have pellet stoves. Got mine at an auction for $800 ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Steel Addict

Gravity fed waste oil furnace. I've built a few out of old hot water heater tanks, and they work brilliantly.

Tags
alberta, art, cold, easy, forging, glue, hand, handle, heat, hot, knife, knives, make, making, paint, problem, steel, tips, wood