MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:07 PM
Enthusiast

Anvils

Finally getting a forge to move up from stock removal. My question is about anvil size. Im getting a single burner forge so I won’t be making anything that big. How big of an anvil should I get?
Old 03-20-2021, 12:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Number one you are not moving up from stock removal, you are only adding forging to the process. If you aren't going to branch off into decorative blacksmithing or becoming a farrier you might want to look at the Atlas Knife and Tool anvil. It doesn't have a horn, also known as a bick but it does have a hardy hole to hold various tools (such as a bick tool if you need one). If you are thinking of going into decorative blacksmithing about a 200lb English or some European pattern would be minimal. They are not the only supplier but they're reputable but take a look at Old World Anvils to get an idea of what's out there and what the prices run.

Doug

Old 03-20-2021, 08:14 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Ditto on what Doug said about stock removal. Unless you get to be amazingly good at forging you will still be doing a good bit of stock removal.

Aside from that, the old rule of thumb on anvil sizes is that the minimum size for an anvil is 40 times the weight of the heaviest hammer you plan to use. My anvil was 500 pounds; you can't really have too much anvil ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-20-2021, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

Understood. I think I’m going to go with a Hell’s Forge double burner instead of a single burner. Thoughts on their equipment or recommendations?
Old 03-20-2021, 06:55 PM
Hall of Famer

On the forge. You can only work 4-5" inches of work at a time so having a forge with two burners and a longer fire box isn't a real advantage. I took a look at the Hell's Forge double burner forge and it looks better than most commercial forges I've see but is does have the problem that the flame comes right down on the work which will cause problems when it comes to heat treating the blade. For knife making burners what enter the forge at a tangent are better. Personally I would recommend that you build your own. Wayne Coe has plans and supplies and High Temperature Tools and supplies carries the parts that you will need and also offers finishes forges. If you want to stick with Hell's Forge I would recommend that you save $50 and get the single burner model. You could forge a sword with it but you will still heve problems with heat treating.

Doug

Old 03-21-2021, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

Mathewson Metal has a model designed like you suggested with the injection on an angle. I think that’s the one I’ll get.

Tags
a, angle, anvil, blacksmithing, blade, build, burner, ca, fire, forge, forging, hammer, horn, knife, knife making, making, metal, pattern, question, recommendations, stock removal, supplies, tool, tools