MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Guru

counterbore problem

Hey guys so I have a counterbore that I use for pockes for the bearings in the folders I do. So its a carbide one and only used it a few times so it has much more life in it.....unfortunately this is the only one I have that's still sharp the others are too dull. So I was about half way through doing one of the pockets when the head of the pilot broke off. I have another pilot but now I went to take out the set screw so I could take out the broken pilot and put in a new one. The set screw feels like its striped wich is weird cause I put the pilot in when I got it and haven't changed it. So I cant get the broken pilot out. Any ideas of how to deal with this set screw?
Old 04-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Is it the usual Allen type of set screw? If so, make sure you're using the correct size wrench. If you are then get some light and some magnification and look at the set screw to make sure it is stripped out.

If it is stripped then the first thing I would try is a screw driver. Get one small enough that it will almost go in the hole with the set screw and then grind the blade until it will go in without touching the threads in the hole. Secure the counterbore so that it cannot move, carefully set the screw driver in the hole and then pound it in with a mallet. The idea is to deform the screw driver tip into the set screw hole or possibly even have the screw driver tip cut into the set screw a little. Then try to turn it out. This may mess up the set screw threads a little so you might have to repair them afterwards. You'll only get one shot at this so make it a good one.

If that fails, the next thing is to drill out the set screw. Again, the threads would likely need repair and you might even need to open the hole and re-thread for a larger set screw.

That's about all I can think of without being able to see exactly what it is you're dealing with ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-29-2017, 01:51 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

PS

They make carbide extractor sets for removing screws in situations like that but I've only seen them for larger screws and bolts. Basically, they drill a hole and then screw in a left handed threaded extractor to remove the bolt/screw. I doubt they make them that small but you might be able to rig something to use that method if you really need to ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-29-2017, 01:53 PM
Guru

Two ways Dave. Since it's a carbide ctr-bore the screw is obviously not hardened and so stripped it's threads easily. You need a reversible drill gun and take a drill bit that is just a little bigger than the socket hole on the set screw. Jam it in there and try to reverse it out of there as I don't think they make a broken bolt remover small enough for a tiny set screw. You can jam it into the socket hole with a touch of superglue on the end as well. I've done that before, but you have to be extremely careful not to get any on the sides of the hole. I used a reversible mill to do mine. Does your new mill have a reverse function Dave? That would be best.

Other method is simply drill the set screw out and clamp the ctr-bore in a vise protected with tape or something and take a pair of vise grips and pull the guide out and take a tap and clean out the threads or a hardened screw to clean them out. Tap would be best. You can look at your local hardware stores to see it they have a small enough screw remover Dave, but I doubt it. Since it's a carbide ctr-bore you will not be able to re-tap it unless only the cutter is carbide and the body isn't, but I've never seen one.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Guru

Oh Dave you can take a small drill bit and grind it into a knife edged point and screw it out with that.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:03 PM
Guru

It just occurred to me Dave, is the screw stripped or just the socket hole?
Old 04-30-2017, 01:24 PM
Guru

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. Right now i want to get 2 folders done ASAP to bring to Atlanta to see what people think. And since my shop was under water the other day there has been a lot of cleaning i just don't have time to mess with it. I ordered a new one so i can get these 2 folders done but i will deffinitly play with this one once things slow down and i get this place cleaned up from all the water. Ill probilly try to drill it out and then re thread it......thanks again guys!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Skilled

If it's just a matter of the tool not mating with the hardware, I've used valve grinding compound on the end of the tool for a little extra grip, and I've also cut small pieces of wide rubber bands to put between the tool and the hardware. Doesn't always work, but I try it first and save myself a bunch of headaches.

PS: I'd like to see these folders!

Trenton

Old 05-03-2017, 05:52 AM
Guru

Thanks Trenton.....I ended up ordering a new one as I don't have time to play with it right now. But the way it works is you drill a 3/16 hole through the liner. Then you take a counter bore with a 3/16 pilot. the pilot goes through the hole in the liner to keep the counter bore cenetered well the head of the pilot broke off and the set screw that holds the rest in is striped so I cant get the broken one out to put a new one in.....

I will post some pics soon probilly in a few days once the 2 I am working on now are done

Tags
advice, bee, blade, cleaning, drill, grind, grinding, gun, hardware, how to, knife, knives, make, mill, post, problem, repair, screw, screws, set screw, sharp, small, tiny, vise, wrench