MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Skilled

Flaw in 5160, or something I did?

Hi Ed

I have encountered a problem with a blade I forged and am looking for some help to figure out why.

I forged the blade from 5160 and as I was going over the blade with a 120 belt in prep for hardening, I noticed what I thought was a spot from a hammer mark that I missed with my previous grits. I could not believe that I had not seen it before, but it was small and should clean up easily. As I proceeded, the spot got longer and longer, turning into what appears to be a crack. This crack runs parallel to the blade and runs up into the blade toward the spine not across or through the blade. This crack looks exactly like a cold shut on a damascus blade.

My question is: Is this a flaw in the manufacturing process, or is it something that I did? I have forged many blades from 5160 using the same processes without any problems.

When I forged this blade, I did not use excessive heat, and gradually reduced the heat during the forging process. The blade was normalized and annealed twice each.

Any help in determining why this happened would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
Old 12-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
5160 flaws and inclusions

Brian,

It's very likely that it's a flaw in the material. I had this happen enough times within the past couple of years to almost make me quit using 5160. I'm not 100% sure, but my belief is that these flaws come during the rolling process at the mill, when the rollers are allowed to either run out of cooling fluid, or the rollers are not kept clean, and the steel basically gets an inclusion in it. Then, becasue I believe it happens early in the rolling process, the successive trips through the rollers cover it up.
It always seems to become visible for me at about a 220 or 400 grit belt. Sometimes, which is the most frustrating, is that it doesn't appear until I'm hand finishing. The more I try to get it out, the larger it becomes! At that point about all you can do is start over.
It's just one more signal that in an attempt to make more money, the steel companies are slacking on quality control. Of course this type of defect doesn't seem to effect 5160 that is being used as springs (it's primary use), and we are such a small percentage of 5160 buyers that the steels companies could care less if we have complaints.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 12-06-2004 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:33 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the info Ed. I was hoping that someone else had seen this before. I could not figure what I could have done to get a crack embedded within the blade.

I can understand your hesitation in wanting to use 5160. This is my first occurance like this, and I am considering not using it any more. The problem is that I still have quite a bit of it so I guess I will take my chances.

Thanks again
Brian
Old 12-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Brian,

Taking chances is about all we can do.......unless we want to scrap our whole supply of 5160. Something that might help...... I've found that if you discover one of these voids/inclusions, it generally will run the entire length of the bar. I keep track of which bar the bad blade came off of, and try not to use that particular bar unless I have to.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 12-06-2004, 07:50 AM
Steel Addict

Brian,
I've had the same problem before. Actually I started seeing it when I was working on my JS knives. I had ordered some extra 5160 and the new stock was the culprit. Took quite a few wasted blades before I realized it was the new steel and not something I'd done.

I now keep all my batches of steel separate. Don't want to go through that again.

Good luck,
Jon

ABS Master Smith

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten" author unknown
Old 12-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Skilled

Ed

You are right, you have to take chances. I have made plenty of pieces of scrap steel, but it was always my fault. Having a flaw in the material is something that was completely unexpected. The bad news is that I do not keep close track of my steel (until now) -- Another lesson learned.

I will continue to use 5160 because it is the steel that I am most knowledgable with. I have done a lot of experimenting with 5160 and am very confident with my heat treating of this steel. I guess that you have to take the good with the bad.

Jon

Funny you should mention that 5160 flaws first showed up when making your JS knives. Guess what the intent of this knife was? I guess some other lucky blade will get to go to Atlanta in its place.

Brian

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives