MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 05-31-2023, 01:59 PM
Master

1904 Henckles Chef Knife

A collector requested I run with this piece yet I'm more inclined to keep it as original with the age patina left intact. Straighten the edge bevel, remove the handle scales to refit. What are your thoughts?

Old 07-04-2023, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast

I think your instinct is correct.
-Mark
Old 07-05-2023, 11:54 AM
Master

I contacted a collector of vintage pieces and he agreed that it was best to leave this as is. For a user or in consideration of becoming one there were lower grade ones that would be more suitable to be modified.

Old 11-23-2023, 09:27 AM
Registered

If you're torn between the two options, consider a partial restoration that addresses functionality without completely erasing the signs of age. For example, you might straighten the edge bevel but leave the patina intact.
If you're uncertain about the historical significance of the knife or the best approach, consider consulting with experts in vintage cutlery or knife restoration. They can provide insights based on their experience.
Ultimately, the decision between restoration and preservation depends on your goals for the knife, your personal preferences, and any specific requests from the collector. If the collector has expressed a preference for the original patina, it's worth considering their perspective.
Old 11-23-2023, 12:08 PM
Hall of Famer

I would go with doing as little as possible, such as just straightening the edge to improve function.

Doug

Old 11-28-2023, 04:09 PM
Master

For a bit I was on a hunt to find these old pieces but using up gas to hit garage sales and find other items of interest was wallet draining. So many temptations in tools and such. LOL.

I have some old pieces to play with but they are of lower priority to the current knife projects. I'm behind on my knife projects by about 3 weeks.

Tags
a, bevel, blade, chef knife, collector, cutlery, design, edge, handle, handle scales, knife, play, randall, scales, tools, vintage, worth