MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:06 AM
Steel Addict

nitre salts

I just got a 20 pound bucket of nitre salts in the mail. Any last comments, hints, safety percausions, or anything else anyone wants to add before I attempt to color some steel and probably end up either burning down my house or severely burning myself, my wife or my dog??? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

heat it very slowly to allow the water to excape. Keep the pot covered went it is not in use. Do not leave any splashed on the floor it will kill any animal who eats it. A friend of mine threw a chunk out of my shop and my pet pig paid the price. It is very hydoscopic make sure your heat source heats the entire out side of the contaiment so the steam has a place to vent.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:04 AM

Make sure the piece you are going to color is 110% dry. If you allow it to collect any moisture it will cause the hot liquid to pop out of the pot when you dip it. I like to place my piece over the pot and let the fire dry it good while the bluing is coming up to heat. If this stuff pops out on your dog it will solidify immediately and make him very difficult to catch.

Customer satisfaction guaranteed on all knives leaving my shop. If not happy with your knife return for a full refund.

email: winstonknives@yahoo.com

my website: http://winstonknives.blademakers.com
Old 07-10-2005, 11:59 AM

Nitre Salts

Hello, I was just wondering if you or anyone else could tell me where I could buy some Nitre Salt. I know that you are suppose to heat the blueing up when you dip the metal into the blueing, but wouldn't that take away from the tempering in the knife? Or can you use the blueing to quench the knife when you are tempering it. I don't know much about it, so I don't even know the proper way to use it, that's why I'm asking. If anyone can give me some help I've be very thankful for it.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Everclear
I know that you are suppose to heat the blueing up when you dip the metal into the blueing, but wouldn't that take away from the tempering in the knife? Or can you use the blueing to quench the knife when you are tempering it. .
The blueing salt is heated only to around 128 centigrade.(depending on height above msl.) This is too low to damage your temper. To say the least , Nitre salt is extremely volatile. I would not suggest that you can use for quenching at all !!

Here's a few safety tips:
1) Allways add chemical to water and not the other way around.
2) Wear FULL facial protection. You'll lose your eyes in no time if you don't.
3) Wear good chemical resistant gloves and protective clothing. The stuff is not very skinfriendly.
4) Keep some vinigar or bicarb. of soda solution at hand to rinse off skin if you have a spill.
5) Do not use in unventilated areas. You might also want to consider using a respirator fitted with chem filter.
6) Wash everything you used immediately. I you touch it again later it will sting you.
7) If you need to replace evaporated water or add salts to alter solution strength, ALLWAYS let the solution cool down to well below boiling point otherwise it will jump right out of the container .(and onto you)

Hope this helps
Old 07-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Steel Addict

You can buy nitre salts from brownells. It's gonna be about $80 shipped to your door.

Tags
knife