MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 04-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Need help for a new member

Guys,
Shawn McIntyre is trying to join us and is experienceing problems getting logged in. For whatever reason, I just can't figure out what's going on.

Here's a excerpt from an email he just sent me. Let's pool our resources and figure out what he needs to do.

"Terry there must be something I am missing. At the bottom of the page there are 4 forum rules about posting or not when codes are switched on and off.

I log on, try to post a reply and it says I am not logged on, start again. Also the codes can seem to switch from the time I try to write the reply to when it is finished, 2 or 3 minutes lets say. Do the codes go on and off independent of my log in, or am I not logging in properly?

The system says thank you for logging in and I can find my name on the list so I am a bit stuck. I have gone through the tutorial and got the one post up, after that it was no go.
"

Any ideas?

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 04-29-2003, 08:35 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Make sure his browser will accept cookies. Some PHP login scripts work by placing a temporary cookie on the user's machine until they leave the site, then destroy it. Even if he doesn't want to be automatically logged in (who in the world wouldn't want to be automatically logged in? ) he should accept cookies.

Hope that helps.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 04-29-2003, 10:24 PM
Living Legend

Could he be a web-tv subscriber? There was another person a while back that could not accept cookies because he was on web-tv and there was not a method to accept them.

There, you have completely exhausted all of my knowledge.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 04-29-2003, 11:26 PM

Well, my first impulse was that it was related to the cookie, and I actually started an email to him, telling how to delete cookies in Internet Explorer.

At the last moment I bailed out and told him I'd post the problem here. My reasoning was that it will also delete his cookies for BladeForums and any others he is a member of. I didn't want to create a situation where he'd have to re-login to every forum he's a member of.

Old 04-29-2003, 11:35 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
If he can log in on BladeForums, he should be able to log in here. Both boards use vBulletin, right?

This may just be a job for the Almighty Alex.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 04-29-2003, 11:42 PM

Yes, that's why I came here to pick everyone else's brain. BladeForums uses vBulletin software also, and I've seen him post over there.

I did go ahead and email him with info how to delete the cookies in case it's a case of a corrupted cookie for this forum.

By the way Bob, that was a good tidbit you threw in about webTV. Thanks.

#####

[ EDIT ]

I just emailed him again. When you create a new account, don't you receive an email with a link to activate the new account? It's been so long for me I can't remember. Anyway, that's what I just told Shawn.

[ /EDIT ]

Old 04-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Skilled

Delete cookies and try to log on. If he is using an aftermarket cookie cruncher program, save the CKD cookie.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Banned

IS HIS ID...

A BOARD SPECIFIC CREATED ID..OR IS HE A GLOBAL ID ?
IF HE CREATED A LOCAL ID AT ANOTHER SYSTEM BOARD AND
IS TRYING TO USE IT HERE IT WONT WORK.. HE NEEDS TO
REREGISTER IT AS A GLOBAL ID BY SIGINING UP WITH IT...
OR RE REGISTEREING IT HERE AT CKD AS A LOCAL ID...
Old 05-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Yes,

Activation is required on this board. This is completed by e-mail verification links. If he did not enter a valid address, or didn't follow the link in the system e-mail, he will not be authorized to login.

He may also have a corrupted cookie folder, which is not uncommon.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC