MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Hawk/knife combo

I just got the little hawk hafted, the knife is one I finished up yesterday. The hawk head is 4" and the haft is 6" made from not so curley curley maple. The knife has a 6 1/4" blade forged from a leaf spring. Overall its 10 1/2". Wrought iron and a piece of deer or elk stag make up the rest. As far as head/handle relation goes for the hawk it looks a little off to me. The eye is either to big or the haft is to short. Let me know what you think. I think the size of the eye is the culpret.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Steel Addict

Raymond i think they both look real nice like the knife alot!! always like your knives and hawks
Old 03-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Raymond,

I love the look of both of those!

I think that the "problem" with the hawk is both the eye and the handle. Compare the ratio of head length to handle length of one of your regular sized hawks. The handle on this one appears to be too short, and tapers too quickly (because of the large eye). If that handle is 6", I would double the length to 12-14 inches. Maybe taper the handle slightly toward the middle, then allow it to flair back out slightly at the end of the handle to give it a delicate appearance. A straight handle might be a little too crude for the size of the hawk.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Think I'll rework this haft and use it on one of the little axes. I think another few inches to the length would sure help. Got in a rush, cut before I gave it much thought. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Living Legend

I thought that is what your supposed to do, measure once, cut three or five until it fits. You mean there is a better way? They both look great ray. The hawk looks like a heavy duty or magnum design.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Steel Addict

Raymond

I agree with Armory414, I also think the haft is a little short and throwing the visuals off. If this head is 4" long, then something close to a 10" or 12" haft may be just the ticket.

Difficult to tell from this angle about the size of the eye. But with this small scale work just a quarter of an inch can make quite a difference. It does look like quite a bit of haft material at the eye.

I think a little more length in the haft will make all the difference in apperance.

Tony
Old 03-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Brent, I never measure anything since I've been making knives and hawks plus I never draw anything before I make. I guess my instink was off this time. I'm going to douple the lenght this time and take some off if it looks to long. I actually planned to make it longer but the saw cut it before I had a chance.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Master

Send a message via AIM to jdlange Send a message via MSN to jdlange
As always Ray, cool as sh$#. Love the handle on the knife btw, you always seem to get antler to DO things in a handle. Great looking stuff. I have a few mice around the shop, could I borrow the hawk?

Gilbert " Gib " Guignard
12/02/35 - 7/15/05
A man like no other.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Josh, One of the first hawks I made was for a lady friend that had chickens and everyonce in awhile she'd run into a rat. Made her a hawk with a rat head instead of a spike. She named it the Ratchet. She actually got a rat with it awhile back.

Tags
blade, knife, knives