MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-05-2001, 06:49 PM
JossDelage

I need a cheap tempering oven

For small blades (Bowie size max.) Do you think one of those counter ovens / toasters would do the trick?

Thanks,

JD
Old 11-05-2001, 07:04 PM
WinDancer

I have been using the [$5] toaster oven from a garage sale for tempering for the last year- works just fine.

Dave
Old 11-05-2001, 07:34 PM
Mike McRae

IMHO you should also invest the $3-4 bucks for a seperate oven thermometer, no mater what oven you use. The oven in my kitchen is off by 25 degrees, but the cheapo toaster oven I got at Goodwill is right on the money. And I use it to temper the blade that helped get my Journeyman's stamp with the ABS.

Mike
Old 11-05-2001, 08:46 PM
John Frankl

oven

I go with the kitchen oven. IDefinitely have a separate thermometer, or two. 'd like to use my smaller toaster oven but have the following problems:

too small for many bowies and camp knives

uneven heat due to heating element/coil being exposed

Any suggestions for fixing these/

John
Old 11-06-2001, 07:59 AM
Jon Christensen

Re: oven

I had problems with hot spots in my toaster oven. You could see the uneven coloring on the blades. The thermometer would read fairly consistent temps. too. I fixed it by putting some Kawool on the metal rack that came with the stove. I get nice even tempering colors now. Problem fixed.
Jon
Old 11-06-2001, 08:39 AM
Cactusforge

Re: oven

I have used a junk eletcric 30" kitchen stove for a long time
no element in the bottom but the broiler works just fine for small 2" blades up to 32" swords. Use a oven thermomenter
to set the temp. Also use some small peces of mild steel that has been ground clean to check tempture as grochery store thermometer are not actuate after a while. This gives a check of the max tempture that was in the oven
Gib Guignard
www.cactusforge.com
Old 11-06-2001, 12:47 PM
John Frankl

Jon

Jon,

So you left the heating elements exposed (mine are on both the top and bottom of the oven) and just used Kaowool on the rack you put the knife on? Or do you mean you covered the heating elements with Kaowool?

Thanks,

John
Old 11-07-2001, 08:23 AM
Jon Christensen

Re: Jon

John,
I only turn the lower burner on. I'm saving the broiler burner for a spare since both burners are the same. I lay the Kawool on the metal rack that came with the stove,the rack is placed at the center height adj. in the stove, then place my blades on the Kawool. I hope that was clearer.
Jon
Old 11-08-2001, 11:00 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Re: Jon

I use a toaster/broiler oven also.I got a thermometer from the local propane company that is used in deep fryers and cautiously drilled a hole in the side of my oven at the same level that my blade will set to assure that the heat is reaching the blades.
I personally check the oven everytime because my area is bad about dropping voltage at different times and this will affect the heat output of the oven.I also use a large piece of 300 series SS(1x2x8) to hold the heat to some degree when opening and also allows for a slower cool down when you are through.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:41 AM
Gary Mulkey

I guess I must be the odd man out but I feel that I get a more even heat on my tempers by doing it in oil. I simply use a crock pot full of peanut oil. It works fine on steels that temper at 400 degrees or less.

Gary Mulkey

Tags
blade, knife