MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Guru

handle question

hey guys so I have had this half finished dagger for a while. the handle I want to do is something like this http://www.knifeandgun.com/ProductDe...ductCode=SSSX9 I don't have that exact piece but what I have is very similar but its already hollowed out (I am not sure if the one in the link is hollow or not) so I guess my question is how do you mount it straight and center. the hollowed area is much bigger than the tang so if I was just to stick the tang in and pour in epoxy chances of it being real straight aren't good. the only thing I thought of is to fill the hollow part with epoxy first then treat it like a block with a hidden tang and drill into the center and do it that way. I am sure I am just missing something very obvious so alil guidance would really be appreciated
Old 08-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Guru

Use 5 minute epoxy and wait till it starts to set up and clamp into position? Or just do what you said, let the epoxy dry and treat like a solid. Are you using a guard? If you are then you have to wait for the epoxy to solidify then drill it out. You could end up with a mess otherwise.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I had one like that...once. I inserted some shaved Popsicle sticks covered with epoxy to fill most of the cavity, then finished filling with epoxy. After that, I made sure to never buy another handle with a giant hole in it ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Guru

good call with the popsicle sticks I wouldn't of thought of that...yeh when I got this I kinda kicked myself in the butt I didn't realise it was hollow when I ordered it...oh well I may just re think the handle more work than its worth
Old 08-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Guru

Forgot about the popsicle sticks and I have a bunch of them as they are part of my diet. Sugar free popsicles. Plus I use them to apply, get this, epoxy!
Old 08-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Hall of Famer

You can get a marine epoxy that comes in a tube in a putty form. You can kneed it to make it soft and push it into the cavity of the handle. Then coat to tang with a thin coat pf petroleum jelly and stick it into the epoxy, making sure you keep it straight. If you are making a guard or bolster to go with the knife fit the tang with it in place, making sure that it lines up the way you want. Remove the blade and allow the epoxy to cure. The reinsert the tang with a fresh coat of two part epoxy, drill and pin.

Just remember to leave a little space for the epoxy putty to be displaced to as you push the tang into it or you will be having to scrape it away as it rises over the end of the handle.

I think that Jim Hrisoulas had to use this method when he fitted a blade to a Gemsbuck horn.

Doug

Old 08-13-2016, 08:35 AM
Guru

yeh I got a bunch of popsicle stick too just wouldn't of thought of shaving...but doug your idea is really good and I have some of that stuff here too and then not much drilling out the cavity either I think that is what I might do

Tags
apply, blade, block, buy, coat, dagger, drill, epoxy, fixed blade, guard, handle, hidden, hidden tang, horn, knife, made, make, making, mount, tang