MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Steel Addict

Shipping Knives

So, what do you ship your knives in? Do you have nice gift boxes you use or just wrap them up in a cloth and into the flat rate box?

Thanks in advance

Matthew 6:33 - It's how I seek to live.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:28 AM
Skilled

Find a box it will fit in, pack it well and ship it. In my experience flat rate will cost more because the larger boxes are needed and they are much larger than needed. Shipping usps usually runs me between $9-12 unless shipping to Canada.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:26 AM

I keep all the boxes I get from Jantz and other knife suppliers as they are typically good for shipping larger knives. I use the boxes that tattoo needles come in for smaller blades.

I cut a solid colored square of felt to the appropriate size and roll the waxed knife/sheath combo up like a chimichanga and tie it with a a leather 'shoelace'.

I also include a typed note detailing the features of the knife (steel type, handle material, tested hardness, etc.) and care instructions. I add the date that the knife was 'born' (heat treat date), and the date it was completed. My hand signed signature completes the provenance.

I always ship well insured.

It seems to make a nice presentation.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-11-2014, 09:03 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Garrett View Post
I also include a typed note detailing the features of the knife (steel type, handle material, tested hardness, etc.) and care instructions. I add the date that the knife was 'born' (heat treat date), and the date it was completed. My hand signed signature completes the provenance.
Yes, nice touch. I do the same.

I use stock boxes from Uline.
S-19087 13X3X3 LONG BOX (larger knives)
S-4850 9X4X3 BOX (smaller knives)
This allows for ample padding.

Something I tried on the last knife was a piece of continuous grommet (edge trim for car door will also do the same thin) and slip it over the sharp edge and secure it with a few bands of plastic wrap.

Cheers!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Master

I package all the knives I ship the way I would expect to receive one.....nice clean new boxes (which they pay for in my shipping/handling charge)....good padding , certificate of authenticity , knife care instructions all wrapped up in a color matching bandana ($.99). The box is clean and professional looking imo, printed labels all sealed and protected from weather/water in plastic shipping tape...I've received countless thank you emails re the packaging and yes the bandana is a hit as well !!

Rob

Old 12-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I do about the same as Dan and Rob. My boxes are white 3x3x17, long for some knives but using only the one size keeps me from having to buy other sizes. Besides, the warranty papers and certificate fits in the big box without folding.

The blade of a fixed blade knife is sheathed in a white paper sheath (printer paper) and secured with a single piece of Scotch tape. The knife and sheath are wrapped in fresh bubble wrap until they don't move around in the box. A couple of business cards thrown in and I'm done.

The one thing you do not want to do is wrap that knife up in paper or cardboard and then cocoon it in packaging tape. I can't tell you how many knives I have received this way. Such knives are almost impossible to unwrap safely and the frustration level by the time you get the knife clear of all that mess spoils any joy you might have had from receiving it. I know the concern is all about safety but remember that safety while being shipped is only part of the equation - it has to be safe to remove from the packaging too ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Steel Addict

So where can I purchase 3x3x17 boxes?

Thanks for all the info.

Matthew 6:33 - It's how I seek to live.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

http://www.browncor.com

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post

The one thing you do not want to do is wrap that knife up in paper or cardboard and then cocoon it in packaging tape. I can't tell you how many knives I have received this way. Such knives are almost impossible to unwrap safely and the frustration level by the time you get the knife clear of all that mess spoils any joy you might have had from receiving it. I know the concern is all about safety but remember that safety while being shipped is only part of the equation - it has to be safe to remove from the packaging too ....
I feel exactly the same about having to cut away the wrapping of the knife. That's what prompted me to ship my knives in a zipper case (inside of a box with packing or peanuts). This provides a soft, cushioned surface for the knife and makes for easy removal. If I am concerned about the tip then I will place a cork on it to prevent any punctures during shipping.

Gary

Last edited by Gary Mulkey; 12-11-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Tags
blade, blades, edge, fixed blade, flat, folding, handle, handle material, heat, heat treat, hunting knife, knife, knives, leather, make, material, package, plastic, sharp, sheath, steel, throw, wrap