MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks PsychoDawg. Here is the other view of the original set up. This is before I finished the welding.

Here is my grinder now.

Its not pretty and it was only supposed to be a temporary grinder till I can build a good one but this thing works so good for me that I decided to make knives instead of grinders.lol
Old 10-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Notice the significant difference in the size of the puny treadmill motor and the much larger and more conventional TEFC motor. That should be a hint that there is a reason why we don't use treadmill motors ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Steel Addict

That is very true Ray but it was fun to tinker with. Lol. The good thing is I only paid $30 for the treadmill. I used the metal, power cord and board for my grinder. The best thing about it is that this experiment frustrated me enough to spend the money on the proper motor. Lol.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Skilled

I wasn't recommending the motor as i was broke at the time and the treadmill was $35 or $30 can't remember. I'm going to upgrade soon to a tefc motor and step pulleys. Mine is not strong enough but the variable speed rocks. I will try to post pics later. I have done a few dozen knives with it so far.

Austin

Old 10-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Skilled

Here's mine

Last edited by racjarrett88; 11-01-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Notice the significant difference in the size of the puny treadmill motor and the much larger and more conventional TEFC motor. That should be a hint that there is a reason why we don't use treadmill motors ...
I never realized that the motors on a treadmill were that puny. I see why you say no on them Ray. I'm glad that I asked, and also know that this topic has been done time and again. The basic principle isn't bugging me. The little finer points are. So, a variable speed 1hp+ 3 phase sealed motor, should be good?

Old 10-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Steel Addict

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/.../MTR-001-3BD18

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/..._VAC)/GS2-11P0

Check these links out for motor and vfd. These are what I got and if I was building a second grinder I would buy again. Sure they may not be as good as the expensive ones but if you are like me and making knives as a hobby and not really making much money...... loosing money but doing it just because you really enjoy doing it it will work great. It definitely has for me. They are also great to deal with. As an example I made 2 chef knives with a blade length of 9" and width of 1.75. That's a pretty big surface area and it didn't stall the grinder with a flat platen. If I put a lot of force on it the grinder would slow down slightly but normal use I couldn't ask for more.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Enthusiast

Icho, Thanks so much! Those look perfect! I bookmarked the links too... Now I'm getting excited. Showed the wife a pic of a forge and she was like "Uhhh, yeah... I don't want you messing with that"... lol

Old 10-05-2013, 09:05 PM

QUOTE: a variable speed 1hp+ 3 phase sealed motor, should be good?

Yes, if you have the know how to get it working correctly. A single speed closed motor of 1 hp or better attached to some pulleys would also be good and potentially a lot cheaper and more fool proof. Make no mistake, I'm fond of VFD but using a 3-phase motor and converter on the cheap is something I'd only recommend to someone who had expertise with that type of equipment or, at least, someone who didn't mind risking some money on something that might not work out ...

Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
QUOTE: a variable speed 1hp+ 3 phase sealed motor, should be good?

Yes, if you have the know how to get it working correctly. A single speed closed motor of 1 hp or better attached to some pulleys would also be good and potentially a lot cheaper and more fool proof. Make no mistake, I'm fond of VFD but using a 3-phase motor and converter on the cheap is something I'd only recommend to someone who had expertise with that type of equipment or, at least, someone who didn't mind risking some money on something that might not work out ...
I have a friend that did the VFD with his metal lathe. He may be able to help. Do you think that it would be wise to start with a motor and step pulleys, then graduate to a VFD if needed? I'm not too great with electricity. If you want a data network, a coax setup, telephones or some phone systems, I'm your guy...

Old 10-06-2013, 08:51 AM

A VFD system for a grinder would cost $600 if you bought a turn key system from one of the knife supply places. For that reason, I expect that you would get yours by buying the components off eBay. If your friend bought his in pieces off eBay and put it together himself then he could probably help you with yours too. If he bought it turn key then he probably wouldn't be much help unless he was willing to make you a loan.

A variable speed grinder is the bomb for what we do but lots of guys get along fine with a single speed or with 3 speeds from a a pulley system. Make your choice according to your budget and also how much risk you can handle with your money. There are lots of VFD powered grinders out there with happy users but some of them had rough, expensive starts. There is a thread from one new maker recently who went whole hog on a $3000 grinder and has had to replace the VFD system components several times, under warranty, and with the manufacturer's help and still hasn't been able to keep it working for more than two weeks at a time last we heard. If you can afford the financial risk it is worth it to get VFD. If not, don't ...

Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

Sounds like pulleys for me... Thanks Ray.

P.S. I liked the Skwirls on your website and was kinda jealous when I saw the pics of where you reside... Looks like as close to Heaven on earth as I could imagine...

Old 10-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Steel Addict

This is the video that I watched to wire my set up. It is also what made me decide to go with this set up. Its a great step by step video and you can see how it runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok9-...e_gdata_player
Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

Good video! He didn't show where to attach to the motor though... Another bookmark in the ole' puter... I feel like I have a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. Ray is warning me about the VFD and you are saying, Go for it!" lol

Old 10-06-2013, 11:40 AM

I'm only warning you about it because you said you weren't very good at electrical things. Some VFD set ups are fairly simple, some aren't. All I'm saying is that if you do have problems how confident are you that you can get it worked out? And, if you can't get it worked out how bad will the bad investment hurt you?

Only you can answer those questions and some of it depends on pure luck anyway. If you feel lucky and capable and financially flush then go for it because, as I said, VFD is the bomb for what we do. Otherwise, pulleys are pretty much fool proof and cheap ...

Tags
2x72, advice, angle, art, awesome, bee, build, building, electrical, forge, grinder, helping, how to, kaowool, knife, knives, make, metal, motor, post, problem, project, steel, step by step, wheels