MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

Question A simple question.... maybe

So. After 12 or so years of trying to make a knife from scratch and generally finding out that it was not the right time. Now... the wife looks at me and ... holy cow....he got a grinder and he's made out a knife blank ... there is stuff to make a forge sitting in the living room.... it looks like after all this time he actually might make one.... it seems very important to him....

So while driving home she asks a simple question.

Why is is so important to you to make s knife from scratch? There are plenty of kits available... why just not make kits and be happy? Why is is so important to you?

Has anyone asked you this (these) questions? Why is it so important to you?

Michael

What.... just take some metal, grind away anything that does not look like a knife and there you are. Whats the problem now?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Steel Addict

To transform a pile of raw materials into something as functional as a cutting tool is put just a little of yourself into that finished product. The more you learn the more of yourself will go into each one. With every hammer blow and every flake of steel removed will become in a small way a part of your vision. Ask this question again in a year and I'll wager you will have answered most the questions for yourself! -Jim-

www.shullhandforgedknives.com
Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
don't know

As a welder/fabricator we build things, from scratch everyday. From farm equipment to drilling rig equipment and everything in between but building a knife from scratch is very addictive. I was bit by the bug quite a few years ago but it has only been the last couple years that I have actually had the time to do it regularly. I have friends that also have been bitten by the knife making bug. I have met some really awesome people that are knife makers and made some true friends as well. It seems like this trade attracts good people that are willing to share ideas and willing to help in any way.
So, to answer your question on why we have to build from scratch.

"BECAUSE WE CAN"

Jim
Old 07-23-2010, 04:47 AM
Skilled

Michael...With all due respect to your wife, if she asked this question...she would never understand the answer. It's like asking somebody "why are you scratching"....because there is this itch...!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Enthusiast

I know. Man do I ever know. I think I answered it to her satisfaction though this morning. Interesting to say your answer Ed and others were basically what I said.

What.... just take some metal, grind away anything that does not look like a knife and there you are. Whats the problem now?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Don't forget, the question you heard may not have been the question she was asking.

You heard: Why not make kit knives?

She asked: Why is all this stuff taking up the spare bedroom?

Just kidding, man!

Why customize a car to make it faster? Why try new recipes when you cook?

Usually it comes down to, "Because we want to." A lot of times it starts out because you want to make a better tool, or a specific tool, or you just want an artistic outlet.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
why just not make kits and be happy?
If making kits it what makes you happy, then that's OK. But I get the distinct impression that would not be what would make you happy.

Every single one of us searches for something that gives us a feeling of fulfillment, accomplishment, and self actualization.... even after all of these years making knives, I still get excited when I'm nearing completion of a knife....for me there is just no substitute.

I can still remember when I was robbing from our family checkbook to support my knife making habit...My Wife asked me: "Why are you spending our money on this stuff!? Your just gona be doing something else in 2 months!" After going to my first knife show with me, and seeing someone hand me $200 for a knife, she later commented: "Don't you have something that you need to do in the shop?" That was over 25 years ago, and although there have been frustrations and roadblocks along the way, my knifemaking has turned out to be something that has made me a better person, taught me more than I would have ever learned without it, and has allowed me to make some of the best friends a person could ever wish for. At first it was all about the knives, and building something with my own two hands. Little did I know the wonderful journey that it would take me on! All because I wanted to make a knife from scratch!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Steel Addict

Hey Michael. Artists and craftsmen have probably had to answer questions like these from their spouses since the beginning of time.

My wife is pretty supportive of knifemaking being my hobby (as long as the grass still gets mowed). She understands there's a lot of satisfaction and pride that comes out of making something from scratch with your own hands. Of course, she can take a bunch of coloured glass and make some truly amazing stained glass peices.

It's always a thrill to finish a piece and have it turn out the way you wanted. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't get an ego boost from hearing people say stuff like, "You made that?!?" when I show them one of my knives. Even better when they follow up with, "How much do you want for it?"

Personal satisfaction, personal growth, successful completion after overcoming frustrating obstacles, accolades from envious people who wish they could do something like that - yeah, all of the above fo me.

Jim
Old 07-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

I've only made two so far, but the reason for me is that I didn't want someone else's knife. I wanted mine. I know there are a lot of directions you can go with a pre-made blank, but that's not what I wanted. I didn't even really need another knife, although I may now sell my benchmade griptilian because of the overlap. Maybe not, I sure like that big folder.

Tags
awesome, folder, forge, hobby, kit, kits, knife, knife making, knives