MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 02-26-2006, 04:44 PM

I am not sure what "Rick" you are refering to but.......

I believe the "WHITE" tenite was the first being produced by Randall. It was certainly the color being used as the prototype for the Marine Corp project Bo was working on with Lt Jordan and Major Mehaffey in 1954.

If you look at the catalog Bo produced in 1954...... #11 (1954-1959) the model's 14 and 15 were portrayed as having light colored handles. I believe if the "GREEN" tenite handles were being produced at that time the catalog would have indicated a color option as I believe it is obvious that the handle being portrayed is light in color.

Due to the unusally long run of this catalog (5 years) there is no doubt that "GREEN" tenite handled 14's and 15's were being produced by the end of this particular catalogs reign.

I believe "WHITE" tenites were produced for a short period (maybe 2 years) before Bo switched to "GREEN" tenite. During the "WHITE" period a small number of "TANS" were produced. The "GREEN" tenite ruled until some point in the early sixties when a few "brown micarta" handles showed up and then of course the "black micarta"

Anyway .....thanks for debating this with me and let me add this disclaimer....It really doesn't matter to me either....white/tan......it's just a lot of fun learning the history.....sort of letting my mind wander......wondering what was going on way back there behind the sign.....sort of like when I was 13.

I'm just happy I'm not still hanging off the back of that garbage truck!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again......Cracker

Last edited by cracker; 02-26-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast

Rick Ward. Wasn't it his #15 you compared your knife to?

The first handle material submitted to the USMC wasn't tenite. The knives are in the museum and the handles were riveted on. It is a plastic of some sort, not sure exactly what. Hand fitted with the tang completely encased in the material. Only those two knive a a couple of other prototypes used this material.

Tex Mahaffey's knife is green tenite. Assuming he got one in the first order of Airmen in 1954 as the driving force behind the project, it does open up the question if white was the first or concurrent with green. Rhett owns that knife, perhaps he has some input. Gaddis states that tenite was made in different grades of hardness so perhaps that explains some of the early color variations.

The photos in the catalog you mention are photos of the prototypes with the plastic handle so it really isn't indicative of the color handle you would receive on a knife you ordered.

I don't think the white/tan handles were made beyond 1955 and maybe as for as short a period as 6 months. The first order was 21 May 1954. The second "official" order sent 9 May 1955. Extrapolating from a years time, you have to assume that not too many were sold during that interim time on an individual basis. I would also say that green may have been available during that year (see Mahaffey).

I wasn't trying to debate this Dan, just offering some observations. Like you I am always looking for information to sort through and analyze.

Hey, I am glad you aren't on the back of that truck any longer too!!

tip
Old 02-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunefinK
Yhis one would be close.... It looks dead mint.

Did you see the #1-8 she has for sale?

Does anyone have a link to the #1-8 that tunefink mentioned? I searched ebay but didn't find it.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:41 AM

Here it is, Jerry:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It is one of a few knives that were not pinned in a pin era.

Best,

Ron
Old 03-01-2006, 07:25 PM

Hey Moose......I meant to say thanks for the congrats!!!!!!

Ron.........I felt like you when you scored those beauties in such a short period of time. I was still delirious over the tenite when I saw the chance to pick up the sub-hilt. All the moons must have been line up on the sub-hilt deal.....I wasn't sure it was going to work out for a while.

Cracker
Old 03-02-2006, 09:20 AM

Cracker,

That's the way it goes sometimes: long dry spells and then bam, bam! I used to pass up a good knife if several of them became available at the same time. After I did, it seemed to take forever before another came up. Then I was kicking myself in the butt for not getting both of them. That only had to happen a dozen or so times before I finally learned my lesson.

Ron
Old 03-02-2006, 09:31 AM

Cracker, you're most welcome!

Ron, you said: "Then I was kicking myself in the butt... "

I've heard it said the you don't know your ass from your elbow, but this is ridiculous.

Cheers!

David

Old 03-02-2006, 06:39 PM

Moosebreath,

That was the closest icon I could find to the action. It's also not the only ridiculous thing I've done
Old 05-19-2006, 06:44 PM

From a just listed eBay auction description:

Quote:
This isnt the holy grail....its way more than that.My interests are turning into fine watches......thus its time for someone else to enjoy and invest in the future.This is the best Tenite Ive ever had and you wil be searching for a long time for one of these......its not white,but it also isnt $28,200,thats alot of money for a piece of white plastic.......but just like this........its RARE......check my feedback.
Nudge, nudge, wink, wink! Say no more! Say no more!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 05-19-2006, 07:53 PM

"This isnt the holy grail....its way more than that.My interests are turning into fine watches......thus its time for someone else to enjoy and invest in the future.This is the best Tenite Ive ever had and you wil be searching for a long time for one of these......its not white,but it also isnt $28,200,thats alot of money for a piece of white plastic.......but just like this........its RARE......check my feedback. "

Translation: I want to capitalize on the sale of a much rarer item while the iron is still hot!
Old 05-20-2006, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

I wouldn't poo poo this knife so fast. I believe it is what he says it is, a genuine USMC trial knife that some officer probably socked away. That IS rare as hell and maybe the only one in existence with the RC hardness test marks etc. Pretty interesting piece, a Randall purchased by the USMC on a po and we all know those 15's (even fewer 14's) were the only Randall's officially purchased by the gov't for testing.

There is a whole chapter in Gaddis devoted to the subject. So in some respects, his description isn't too far off the mark.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:45 AM

Hi Joe,

We can all count on you for a learned opinion, but does "circumstantial evidence" merit the $7-8K premium he's asking for the knife? With USMC provenance I can see it. Those probe marks and numbers could have been put there by anyone.

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 05-20-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

True, the marks could have been put there by anyone but I have known of this knife for at least 10 or more years which is prior to the real influx of information, a large quantity of collectors, and big dollars. In fact, I don't think Trazka even located the USMC test documents until a couple of years ago.

I have found that much of this rampant doubt about Randall's is internet fueled on sites such as this. The amount of altered knives is a very small percentage of total knives, but with every RMK Dick Tracey raising generally unwarranted concern on a myriad of knives, when a good piece comes up said internet pundits can't wait to throw the flag.

That being said, the particular collector who has it up for sale has put some great knives up the last few years and we all have seen them. He was collecting long before most of the particpants on these sites even knew what a RMK was. He has been honest in the dealings I have had with him, dealings with other collectors I know, and all I have seen go on ebay.

I have never known him to knowingly misrpresent an item. We could question his knowledge and description-opinion of a knife he has had up for sale (this 14 could fall under that category for some) but his track record for quality knives stands. So, I find it hard to believe that Marc intentionally put those RC test marks and #'s on the blade or more importantly that he (or anyone else for that matter) was savvy enough to even think of something like that. Particularly a decade or more ago.

He is free to ask what he wants for the knife and it will find maybe not it's value but it's desireability. As I stated, I think the knife is exactly as he says it is. Others can hold whatever opinion they choose.

Last edited by crutch tip; 05-20-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:36 PM

Does anyone have a link to the auction?

Cracker
Old 05-20-2006, 01:57 PM

nevermind......I found it

Cracker

Tags
art, back, bee, blade, buy, collecting, collector, fisherman, for sale, forge, gun, hunter, knife, knives, made, make, post, randall, rare, sale, sheath, steel, white, ww2