MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 11-18-2006, 01:37 PM

Randall Bore No. 14: A ?True? Randall Story

The current waiting time from the shop is 4 years and 7 months. Has anyone ever wondered how long there has been a backlog and if it was created by a specific event? As with many Randall questions, Mr. Gaddis provides the answer on page 137 and 138 in his must-have book .

In 1953 True Magazine editor Ken Purdy had been using and collecting Randall knives since shortly after WWII and had become a pen pal of Bo?s. That year he decided to feature an article on Bo and his knives and went first class all the way from his best photographer to in-depth research on metallurgy. Quote by Bo ?When When this story came out in True (Dec '53), you never saw so much mail in your life. I had to hire more help in the shop right away?. Statement by Bob: ?This was the beginning of the backlog or waiting period that has since become standard for Randall Knives?.

Mr. Ed Lowicki was 37 years old when he read that article and was compelled to order a 7? stag handled Model 3. Photos of that knife follow. I hope you enjoy.

Best,

Ron

Old 11-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Steel Addict

That is a beautiful knife and story.......

Ron, you are Mr. #3.........

Wow!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:44 PM

Thanks, Tune. I guess if you can't be No. 1 or No. 2 then 3 ain't so bad
Old 11-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Steel Addict

Ron,

3rd time is supposed to be the Charm, must be true the way you end up with most of the fine RMK's first!!!

Old 11-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Skilled

Ron, outstanding "bore" and what a knife and story and documentation! What does the caption say under the picture of the Randall stuck through the silver dollar? The picture is worth a thousand words so I don't guess it really matters. I know that the shop and catalog do not recommend trying this at home so-to-speak but it is REALLY cool ! Thanks for sharing yet another great 3 from your collection!

seuss
Old 11-19-2006, 01:45 AM

Chief: A whole lot of luck! The guy who bought it from Ed came to me for an opinion and I ended up trading for it.

Seussbro: Thanks. The caption says "Quality means sharpness, balance and toughness. Hand-driving through a silver dollar is a stunt that will prove a point". The tip doesn't even looked like it got scratched! Pretty impressive.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:26 AM

Great Bore, Ron!

It's always a treat to see these old classic Randalls.

The "TRUE" magazine article which spurred Ed on to order this knife and the subsequent RMK backlog clearly demonstrates the power of marketing.

Collecting the various published articles about Bo Randall and his amazing knives over the last sixty years is a great way to enhance one's RMK collection.

I think the silver dollar stunt was obviously trick photography. There's no way Bo would have ruined a perfectly good coin.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Tags
knife, knives