MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 05-23-2001, 04:47 AM
stevekorn

Let's save money!!!

This forum was created to help newbies and experts. If we dropped the ball help us pick it up and come to us with questions on how to start and how to improve. This is not all about the weekly contest. It's about possibly saving money---SAVING MONEY!!!
Old 05-23-2001, 11:18 AM
Geno

OK Steve,
Here's a question.
How can we save more money?
I'm all for that discussion, man.
Old 05-23-2001, 11:49 AM
dogman

Free pictures from the knife photographers!
Old 05-23-2001, 12:49 PM
R Todd

I think Steve is making a decent point here. If you need the absolutely best photos possible of a really special knife, then your best bet is to contact a pro. But for pretty darn good pics to show your latest or advertise on the forums, that is something you can do yourself.

I think Steve, and Phil also mentioned somewhere is that you should try to use what ya have. For our purposes, there is no need to go spend a grand for a camera, and hundreds for some elaborate lighting rig. If you can thats great, but I doubt most folks can afford to and end up asking themselves how they can get a decent photo with the two or three hundred dollars worth of stuff they have. Thats where this forum comes in, and can hopefully save somebody some money.

Getting help has worked for me. I was getting pretty frustrated when I got my first digi-cam, I figured I would have to go out and find a better more expensive one. Soon after, a few people started offering me tips on lighting, reflections, and tips on how to use the software. I took the advise and began practicing and I think it helped a bit.

One thing though, people need to ask for help on what they are having trouble with. Even if your photography interest is a low priority, you can still improve with a bit of help. Its hard to just toss out tips at random not knowing if you are helping anybody. A specific question is one that a person on this forum with expetise in that area can see and help you. For instance, I have trouble shooting damascus blades. Within 24 hours I get email and public responses on how to do it, and bingo...problem solved. So, you need some help?? Ask away.

Old 05-23-2001, 01:27 PM
JerryO13

Save Money - instead of buying a light box, build one. Foamcore is available at almost any art supply place or office supply place. Foamcore is basically 2 sheets of paper with a stiff foam in the middle, it's about 3/16" thick and you can easily cut it with a razor knife. Most common is white but you can find black foamcore also. Some Duct tape and you can build a light box for photography, total cost areound $15 if you buy a new roll of duct tape.
Old 05-23-2001, 03:14 PM
stevekorn

Gene,
If you need to fine tune your photo skills that's what we're here for. If you can't take the time to do your own photos call 201.224.2923 and you and I can work something out. You have a choice of photographers North, South, or Oklahoma. That's how YOU can save MONEY.
Old 05-23-2001, 05:42 PM
stevekorn

Bob,
Call me 201-224-2923 or Email me and you'll get the best possible deal. skorn@nj.rr.com Too good to believe.

Old 05-23-2001, 07:57 PM
R Todd

Actually Dogman, you are pretty close with your free pic statement. I tend to do photography as more of a hobby than professionally. I do pics for a couple of makers though. When contacted, I like to make this offer. Even small expenses can be a pain for a maker and they may not be sure how much photos will really help them. So, to help them decide I will let them know that the first knife I photograph for them will be at no charge. All I ask is that the maker pays return shipping and insurance. That includes a few pics of the knife using my ideas, their idea, or both of us deciding on the set-up together. That way if they decide that it doesnt help them, they are not out any money except a few bucks for shipping. If they are pleased, we hammer out the details of future jobs. Pretty easy huh?

Old 05-23-2001, 10:58 PM
PhilL0496

A lot of the work I do for makers is to take their drawings of a knife and render them as realistic as I can. I've helped sell a bunch of knives before they were ever made. I turn down cash, I prefer to trade a service for a service. It's been a win-win situation.

References available by request.
Old 05-24-2001, 12:42 AM
Geno

I like Dogman's idea best.
(But I'm gonna call steve in the morning.)

I take a lot of my own shots. I use a cardboard box with holes cut in it, lined with freezer wrap white paper.
(butcher paper) I can shine the light through the white paper in the windows I cut and get a shot without shadows or harsh reflections.
It was all free unless my wife finds out it was one of HER boxes.SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2001, 03:28 PM
stevekorn

Gene,
I've seen some of your photography and it definitely would be very competitive so jump on in with both feet.......I'm serious!!!

Tags
knife, knives