MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:14 AM

3/4" wide by 3/16" thick high carbon steel....

As the subject line says, I'm looking for some high carbon steel 3/16" thick X 3/4" wide, any length. I've got some projects coming up and that size would really be handy. I used to buy it in 1095 from Admiral, but they no longer carry that 3/4" width. They offered to cut me some for the cost of a decent newer model used car, but I declined. I've looked at a bunch of commercial steel sellers and mostly what I come up with is 1" widths.

If anybody knows where I can get some, or has some they would be willing to part with, I'd like to hear from you. I can be contacted on forum or off forum at: ackerforge@yahoo.com

I really like the 1075-1095 series of steels, but I'm no steel bigot. O1, W1, W2, 5160, 52100, etc., etc., I'm down with any of those. If I can heat it, beat it, and quench it hard in oil, it will work.

Thanks,

Dana

Old 09-28-2020, 12:17 PM

For an odd size like that, I'd get 1-1/2 inch wide and hot cut it down the middle. If you do the math, that would give you two pieces of 3/4 from one cut. Of course, if you have a metal cutting ban saw, that would also work. There should be plenty of alloys to choose from in 1-1/2 inch.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:49 AM

I don't have a metal cutting band saw, or any band saw for that fact. However someone gave me an old band filer. It runs, but the band files are hard to come by, and I'm not entirely sure what it's original purpose was. OK it was for filing, but I'm not sure what. It weighs a ton, and basically just defies gravity in the corner of my shop. But it's a cool old machine. Once I put a band saw blade on it, but while the blade spun around, it just wasn't meant to be. Trying to turn a band filer into a band saw is like trying to change a dog into a cat. Not to mention I've come to appreciate keeping my fingers attached to my hand. I've got one old circular chain of like 3" files stuck together that at one time actually ran on it, but never tried it.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:46 PM
Guru

Try Hudson Tool steel they have 3/16 x 3/4 x 36" for $33.08 plus shipping in W2.
https://www.hudsontoolsteel.com/cata...stock&grade=W1

Or try Cincinnati Tool Steel, they have varieties and shear cut plate possibly something you might like such as W2 or L6, but I think the L6 is 3/8 thick. They definitely have O1 and the S series shock steels.
http://cintool.com/
Old 10-01-2020, 10:42 PM

Hey Jimmie, thanks! Good resources. Appreciate it! Check your messages.

Last edited by Dana Acker; 10-01-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Tags
1075, 1095, 5160, 52100, a, band saw, blade, buy, ca, carbon, chain, choose, cutting, fac, files, hand, heat, hot, knife, metal, saw blade, shop, steel, tools