MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Skilled

Japanese chef knife - Maker? or copy?

An employee gave this to me. Parents passed and found in a drawer. Can anyone identify this maker and time frame?
Handle looks to be ebony.
Thanks for your help !!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I can't identify that maker but I can say that it seems to be a dead on copy of an early 1900's Sabatier ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Skilled

What a GREAT guess on that one Ray. I looked up your idea of a Sabatier and was amazed how similar
the knives were. I thought you were onto something but then noticed that none of the sabatiers had Japanese
writing on them.

I sent the same post to a Kitchen knife forum that most of them live and breath Japanese knives.
This is what I found out from a member:

Ikkaku-saku Donryu made by Shimizu Hamono Kougyousho in Seki. (not the one in Echizen, Fukui)
They are less known company and usually don't do expensive super-steel ones, and centered more on home-use Toginon line and affordable industrial workhorse knives, but mostly well trusted I think.
Current models have plastic handles so the pictured one is 15-30 years old maybe?

Yep, the reading is donryu, not nomi-ryu. Meaning swallowing/devouring dragon.

Like THIS forum, these guys were very nice, friendly, and knowledgeable.
I am glad that the knife community is SO open to help others !!!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Skilled

** I would like to ask another question. Know knowing that this knife is not a superstar find and is more of a workhorse knife,
what would YOU do with it??
I am a GM at a restaurant, very knowledgeable in the kitchen (20+), and I make chef knives and cutlery as well. So with this info, would you;
a) Keep it as is and just sell it (giving the proceeds to the employee)
b) Try to restore it and sell it (as seen in pix, a lot of work would go into cleaning scratches and bad grinding marks and re-handling)
c) Restore it and keep it for work usage in the BOH
d) Fully restore it and give it back to the employee for his uses in the kitchen/home
e) Better ideas ??

Thank you again for all your inputs and suggestions !!
Troy
Old 10-30-2015, 06:30 AM
Skilled

given its low end "home/utility" use status.... you might clean it up enough to put it back in service.
possibly go as far as new handle, but the one on there doesn't look like its in danger of falling off any time soon.

personally (if I had the time to) id straighten out the back end of the cutting edge, clean and polish up the blade as best can without damaging the etching, replace handle as there looks like there might be rust under it.... then put it to work in the kitchen.

if you do restore it..... post the after pics too.

it may not be an "anything special" knife, but these restoration projects can be fun too
Old 10-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I didn't say it was a Sabatier, I said it was a copy of one. Glad those guys could nail it down though since I don't follow Japanese knives in much detail.

I have restored a few original Sabatier's like that one. Usually it is because the handle is falling off and, as Damon pointed out, that one appears to be solid. On those restorations I went to great lengths to maintain the original patina on most of them. I wouldn't do anything to that one unless the owner asks you to do something and I would advise against cleaning the blade to the point where it is spotless and shiny like new. As for using it, it is a carbon blade - some places won't allow the use of carbon blades, some do but it is certainly a usable knife....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
back, blade, chef knife, cleaning, cutlery, edge, grinding, handle, handles, home, identify, japanese, kitchen, kitchen knife, knife, knives, made, make, plastic, polish, post, sell, steel