MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 10-15-2002, 09:14 PM
Steel Addict

Question Checkering Pearl and Ivory

Will someone kindly explain the process to checker pearl and ivory in order to get the raised diamonds? Also, what tools are needed?

Thank you. -chris

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com
Old 10-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Steel Addict

Great question - I'll be interested in the answer too.

JD

Old 10-18-2002, 10:36 AM

Checkering file from a gunsmith supplier like Jantz or Brownells. Just file each set overlapping the last row or 2. It takes patience and just a little time.

http://www.howellbladesmith.com
Old 12-16-2002, 12:23 AM
Registered

I have checkered the fronstrap on one of my pistols with the ceckering files mentioned above, but have never tried it on Ivory. I may try it when my daughter has some scraps left over, she does a little scrim work on pistol grips and jewelery. Ivory is not really hard, so I would think it to be a little less elbow work, but it will still be time consuming. Setting up to get the filing exactly perpendicular would probly be the biggest challenge. The photo below is 20LPI, but you can get the files in 25, 30,40,50, and 75 LPI. The 50 would probably 'wear' off quickly, maybe even the 40 as the 'diamonds' wouldn't be very deep.
I could probably write a book on this, but I don't want to bore anyone to death.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:25 AM
Registered

OOOPs, sorry to hash up an old post, I was 'searching' for some answers instead of hashing up old subjects, but forgot to check the dates on this post, and am still guilty of what I was tru=ying to avoid.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:09 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to falconhawk
Checkering.......

If the materials being checkerd are not too dense and hard, regular checkering tools may be used as well. I have checkeered both Micartas and Ivory with them in the past. Use lighter cuts than you would normally use for checkering wood though as the diamond points seem (to me at least) to break easier.
I have never perked pearl or mother of pearl so I can not speak for these. But as a general rule, if the material to be checkered is not harder than a very hard wood then regular checkering tools should work. It is easier, I think, to get straight lines and to add lines after the initial cuts are made using the standard checkering tools than it is with the checkering files. Whatever yu decide to try, both the checkeriing tools and the checkering files are available from Brownell's.

Falconhawk

Old 12-16-2002, 05:19 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to JimmySeymour
at the last guadalupe hammer in at johnny stouts place i watched bailey bradshaw give a demonstration on checkering. He showed everyone a small pocketknife he had done where he checkered the mother of pearl handles. It was a really nice piece. He said it took him over 8 hours to checker just one side, and was mentioning someone being able to machine the checkering into the mother of pearl. but unfortunatly i cannot remember the name. maybe bailey himself will be able to tell you.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:31 PM
Steel Addict

Checkering.......

You can also get a power checkering tool through Brownells but you'd better have a real gentel touch,,,,,lol

Falconhawk

Old 12-17-2002, 04:31 PM
Steel Addict

OOOOpppppps!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Guys,

Thanks Bob, but I wanted this posted to the folding knife forum as part of a discussion on Kersaw knives. These pics are of a knife that I have been asked to embellish. My fault I guess I did not give Bob enough info when I asked him to post these. The checkering on this knife is as it comes from the factory. (Miine is better lol)

But again I appologise for not getting this straight with Bob first. Maybe he or someone could move them for me?

Thanks, Falconhawk

Tags
folding knife, knife, knives, pocketknife