MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Skilled

Forged in Fire -on the History Channel.

If your not familiar with this show, here's the synopsis. 4 bladesmiths are put to a challenge, so far the first part is to forge a blade of their choosing within the size requirements given. The smiths are given 3 hours to forge the blade and temper it, basically get it ready for the handle. It is then judged. One smith is then culled.

The next part they have 3 hours to finish the blade then it is tested. One smith is culled leaving 2 that go home and are given 5 days to make a weapon of the shows choosing.

I believe this is a pretty good show for the newbs to watch. While much of what goes on is edited out there is still much an experienced smith watching can see.

In the first episode the four smiths have to make a knife. One smith makes a huge mistake, either in forging or HT. The second has a stress riser fracture. You'll have to watch this episode to see the rest.

I just watched the second episode, and for the record I would have rocked it. They were using junk steel. 2 guys tried to forge large blades from roller bearings one from a file and one from a crow bar. If you watched the show, anyone know why those failed or succeeded? How did there choice effect the outcome?

There are a million questions that a young smith can ask from the mistakes and successes on that show. While I doubt it will make a second season, it is a very good show for us smiths. I wish I could get on, although I'd embarrass myself it would be fun.

Lets use this thread as a discussion on the show and what we can learn from it.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 AM
Skilled

Yeah I watched the first episode yesterday, and maybe I'm wrong but I felt like the first 2 guys eliminated were a poor representation of most of you professional bladesmiths. Of course, they're better than me as I am still on stock removal and haven't done any forging yet. However, I have seen the quality of work that people display here and I feel like many of the bladesmiths on this forum would've made the competition more competitive. I could be wrong, again because I haven't done any forging and I imagine the time constraints they have are very grueling.

That being said, it's a very interesting and entertaining show. Probably going to become my current favorites. I'm glad you started this thread jmc.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:36 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Sounds interesting. Currently filming 8 episodes in Brooklyn, apparently. If you really want to be on the show, contact Outpost Entertainment at http://www.outpostentertainment.com/ If there is a second season you might have a shot ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Skilled

Lol, Hunter. I aint no professional, like Ray. Dang Ray, that in New York. They won't let me North of the Mason Dixon. I might just look into it, just don't have Ray's stage presence.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:12 AM

I would love to see this but unfortunately it is not available in Canada. If anyone has taped it and can figure out how to make it available to us Northern Neighbors we would be very grateful.
Steve

Old 07-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Skilled

You should be able to watch it online, here's the link. http://www.history.com/shows/forged-...tory%20channel
Old 07-01-2015, 07:37 AM

Nope, doesn't work. Blocked for all Canadian sites and I don't know enough about the web to pretend to be from the US.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Skilled

Just watched the second episode yesterday. It killed me that guy who came in second made such a work of art, but it didn't work throwing because he made it too heavy with ornamentation.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

We might have to wait a year or so but I wouldn't be surprised that this will go to DVD. If it does, it should be available on Netflix or from your local library. I get this kind of stuff from the library all the time....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Skilled

Hunter, that's one thing I like about that show. Since the stuff is tested you get to find out who's the real deal and not. Quite often the most beautiful stuff isn't worth the what it's made from in as much as being a tool. That's why I advocate every maker carrying and abusing what they make, unless all they are making is art. You don't bet your life on art, it can't save you in a survival situation. lol.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Steel Addict

I'm just glad there is a show about making real knives instead of a show about a out of work angry hobbit making giant goofy looking swords that I wouldn't give ten cents for. Forged in Fire is an interesting show where Big Giant Swords is the biggest joke on tv.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmkr20 View Post
I'm just glad there is a show about making real knives instead of a show about a out of work angry hobbit making giant goofy looking swords that I wouldn't give ten cents for. Forged in Fire is an interesting show where Big Giant Swords is the biggest joke on tv.

lol, tru dat!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Skilled

Watched the third episode. I thought that this was definitely the most interesting one. Again, function beat aesthetics which I thought was cool. I was pretty impressed with ryu's knife and axe, he seems to be a very skilled blacksmith.

What did ya'll think?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Skilled

Sorry, but I was not impressed by any of it. I just don't see the point. Pun intended.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBE View Post
Sorry, but I was not impressed by any of it. I just don't see the point. Pun intended.
If you had 3 hours to forge a blade in an unfamiliar place, could you accomplish it? Or would you be like all those guys who failed? Could you make something you've never made before, with tooling you don't have? Scoff all you want, personally, I tend to be unimpressed by a guy who pumps out knives that look alike and can't even carry one on their own hip because they don't trust their own work enough to do that. But that is just my humble opinion.

In as much, I thought the other guy had the better looking weapon. Functionally, the handle was the main problem. The aesthetics on the other blade hurt it. In my opinion they were close enough in performance that the finished appearance should have had an influence. But they are basing it entirely on performance, and that's ok. I'd rather carry a crappy looking blade that performs well than a shiny stainless on that fails the first time I put it in a bind.

Last edited by jmccustomknives; 07-10-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Tags
anvil, art, axe, blacksmith, blade, file, fire, forge, forged, forging, handle, home, how to, hunter, knife, knives, made, make, making, post, show, steel, stock removal, survival, temper