MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 PM

Hi Rich,

Monitors and software are a complex world, aren't they? How in the world can I tell what is real? I can't. I'll take your word for it.

I did what I do to every shot that I take in my camera: I run it into CS4 Camera Raw and set the white balance by clicking on the WB eyedropper, and then clicking on the metal of the knife somewhere. It changes a bit depending on where I click. In the end I go with what looks good to me. (I process JPG's in Camera Raw because of this and other adjustment recipes that the CR pre-program does to the image before I open it in CS4)

Now this is to assume that the tools works perfectly, AND that Jerry's damascus is a perfectly neutral shade of grey. Well..... you can only imagine that if it isn't, it's going to be wrong.

In all examples there are anomolies.

I did the same thing to Cal's photo and it tamed the orange tints. In yours it embellished them. Go figure.

#####

Cal,

I can't argue with the choice to get a good camera, and the digital Rebel is a fantastic choice. But.... You don't have to spend even that much. Remember, for the web, you need the equivalent of a 3mp camera at most. I'm not convinced your own camera isn't qualified. I would probably look into fluorescent photo-specific lamps (Like Buddy uses) before I spent money on a new camera. Because no matter what camera you get you are going to have the same WB problems unless that's fixed.

All that said, you would LOVE the Canon, and I don't want to dismiss Barbara's good advice. I use a Canon!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Steel Addict

Coop,

Thanks for the instruction on using the Polygonal lasso tool. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I know what I have been doing wrong. I don't blow the image up nearly enough or use enough control points. I believe that is why I am not having good results. I have been trying to extract parts of a photo with only about 10 -15 control points and I don't even think I have blown up the image over 100%. Thanks again.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Skilled

Thanks Coop. It's not overpowering, but it's a bit off on my screen. I'm going to turn off my monitor tonight, and check it tomorrow after a brief warm up..

Your overall picture is so much better than the original because ALL the colors are more vivid and bright. The tad you took off in the cropping helped make the knife larger too.. As entered mine was too darn dark and gloomy looking. Just for ducks, I put the background up again, and now I would say it's between yours and mine. It's just that yours is bold.

I wonder if I killed this picture by doing that "mids" thing I mentioned? I thought it would just effect the brightness, not colors.. Anyway, thanks for making it look good again Coop... I'm think I'm gonna start over on this one...

Best, Rich
Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

Good stuff here!

I've been following this all along, didn't have a photo to add...
Maybe next time

B?zier curves are your friends!
Some (photoshop) pen tool tips
Work large, as coop said, 300%.
(use the space bar/hand to navigate around the large image as you work)

Set to Feathering "0"

Go to Paths (it should be next to Layers), scroll down to New Path.

Now you're ready to rock.
From click to click is a straight line, like the lasso.
To go around curves, click and drag. A "handle" will appear & you can manipulate (the handle and the path) as you drag the mouse.
Don't despair if you let go of the mouse too soon & miss by a little.
You can hold down the command key to get the white arrow (direct selection tool) to adjust as you go, or wait till your path is complete and adjust it later (again with the direct selection tool).

Divide every curve into three pieces, use three clicks/points.
This allows you to adjust later and makes the whole process easier than trying to hit the curve in one try.

To end a curve & delete the forward facing "handle" [i]option[/] click on the (last) point.
This works well for inside corners, compound curves and any time you get little "knobs" on the end of your curves. (This little bit of info cost me in french fries lol)

Holding down the Shift key will keep you next point (either horizontal or vertical) square to the document sides.

When you are satisfied with your path, hold down the Control key and scroll down to make selection to get the infamous marching ants.

I hope this is clear enough

Once you get a little used to the pen tool, it becomes second nature.
When it is second nature it'll be a breeze to silhouette items.

Last edited by Ebbtide; 03-25-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Tags
blade, knife, knives