MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Belt opinions

Well finally,

After really wanting one for awhile I believe thing are going to work out so that I can get a KMG after the first of the year. I have read through many threads about this grinder and getting the belts from Trugrit. I do have one question though and would appreciate some advice.

What type of base material (abrasive) is recommended for stock removal. If you go to the Trugrit website there is al. Oxide, regalloy ceramic, cubitron ceramic, zirconia, norzon, etc...

Thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

TG - 1960
Old 12-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Each of those abrasives are designed for specific materials and applicaitons. Problem is that next to none of them were designed with the knifemaker in mind. What I would suggest doing it trying some of each over a period of time until you find what works best for you, in your shop. I use a variety of abrasives for various operations for knifemaking, but what works good for me doesn't always work the same for others. I personally like the Klingspoor blue zirconia for my heavy grit belts (50 grit) and I like the Norax belts for my fine grinding. On handle and guard materials I use aluminum oxide because it's less expensive and I'm not grinding anything very tough.

There is no magic formula to know right away what belts will work best for you.....you just have to try them and decide.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 12-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Living Legend

I've had Trugrit send me belts all the way to Australia, then I found a distributor here just 6km from where I live... 8o

OK, my opinions. I have only used the 3M belts in the so-called "high-performance" range and I liked what i got, I haven't tried any others since. For every choice I talk about, the competitor (esp. Norton) will have an equivalent.

I use 3M Cubitron "Gold" Ceramic (967F) for any stock removal on steel or other materials. Very aggressive, particularly with the high-tech and stainless steels. Yet the finish is very even. I use 50grit and 80grit. These belts have tripled my overall grinding speed and quality. If you grind Titanium, this is really what you want to use.

I use 3M Regalloy Polycut Ceramic (707E) in flexible J-weight backing for refining the grinds on steel as well as handle materials. I use 120grit and 240grit belts. I also use the flexibility to slack belt in curved shapes and to grind scallopped plunge cuts. I even cut up the old belts to use by hand with "shoe-shining" hand finishing techniques.

3M Trizact structured abrasive in A100 grit produces a very nice, even, fine finish especially on hardened steel, but I understand it is only for metals. Lasts an amazingly long time too. Apparently, the Trizact CF "Gator" belts are even better.

I have a large supply of other new and older belts - Klingspor blue Zirconia and other Aluminium Oxide belts in a variety of brands, but I find them to not cut as well or last as long as those listed above.

These belts are all expensive, but you get what you pay for (to a degree). $20 Aussie dollars for one Cubitron "Gold" belt sounds expensive, but after 8months of grinding, I can still use my very FIRST belt for some grinding tasks even though it is quite (read - very) worn. I grind the edges of my leather and Kydex sheaths with it...

Hope this makes sense. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 12-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up Thanks

Ed/Jason,

Yes, this helps greatly and thanks to the both of you for this information. Now if the work bonus will hurry up and go through I can give Rob a call....

Again thanks and Merry Christmas or the perfered Holiday of your choice.

Bill

TG - 1960
Old 12-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

Jason,

Who is the distributor you're dealing with?

I've been getting my belts from Abrasive Products in Sydney and they carry a very limited range of 3M products, mainly a limited no. of grits in trizact belts.

I very happy with the trizacts but would like to try some of the belts you've spoken about.

Cheers, John

Last edited by john foxwell; 12-19-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Steel Addict

Bill here is a link to a belt supplier. They have info on the recommended use for the different belts. You can use this for a guide or order belts from them. If you want a different weight backing you will have to look elsewhere.

I have used their belts with good success but the price seems a little high.

http://customsandingbelts.com/cgi-bin/home.exe

Joe

Old 12-19-2005, 10:25 AM
Guru

Bill,

Good time of year for Rob it looks like. Bonuses come in and get redirected to him

Hopefully mine shows up this week.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 12-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by john foxwell
Jason,

Who is the distributor you're dealing with?

I've been getting my belts from Abrasive Products in Sydney and they carry a very limited range of 3M products, mainly a limited no. of grits in trizact belts.

I very happy with the trizacts but would like to try some of the belts you've spoken about.

Cheers, John

GDay John, I have been dealing with a bunch called SUMABRITE PRODUCTS in Oakleigh South, Victoria most recently. Really friendly, quick, almost excessively "happy" service ! There are actually a great many other industrial suppliers who will make belts to your size. I've tried a few after going through the Yellow Pages. Eg.- Abrasiflex, Specialty Abrasives, local Hermes and Klingspor distributors also...

You're right though - there seems to be a restricted range of choices. They probably only stock the materials that sell well. Eg.- I could only really get Trizact in A100 and A45. No problems, 'cos thats all I needed anyway. Also, their belt nomenclature is a bit different from the US classifications. The numbers are different, eg.- 3M 967F or 707E is something else here.

I actually found it cheaper to get Scothcbrite belts all the way from the US than locally. $45AUD per belt here. Even after conversion and airfreight, I calculated that Scotchbrite belts only cost me $24AUD each from certain suppliers.

Hope this helps. Hey, don't hesistate to just email me if you want to yak. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)