MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-16-2016, 06:33 AM

Someone got.....

..... a smokin' deal!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-rand...p2047675.l2557

$525.00 buy-it-now:

WWII Stiletto (2-7) with CJ Moore sheath. Very early (1943) from these tells:
1. Stamp placement
2. Chain link on the butt
3. Long narrow Lily White Wa####a stone

Name etched which may be able to be traced to a soldier. Market value 5-10 times what the buyer paid. Like winning the lotto!

Last edited by BoBlade; 10-16-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I missed it by mere seconds. I had just pulled up my EBay search for Randall's. I looked at the few newly listed items that showed up on my search, this knife wasn't there. Not much interested me so I was only looking around for a minute or two. Once I was done I hit refresh on my web browser and this knife then showed up in my completed auctions search.

So, sometime within the span of a couple minutes it listed and sold.

Someone indeed got a great deal
Old 10-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

Another one just went for what I consider cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/282222343184...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When originally listed there was no buy now option. Whoever got it must have talked them in to adding BIN.

Last edited by SteveM; 10-16-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Ron - IMO - I think part of the reason it went soooo low was the somewhat obscure area he/she listed it in on Ebay.
If that were under Randall it would have got a LOT more attention.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Skilled

A steal.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast

I could not believe the seller was so uninformed about the value and rarity of the knife.

The Clarence Moore sheath looks to be in pretty nice shape as well . I would not be surprised to see the buyer relist it for $4,000 or more.

This is the best Randall knife deal i have seen on Ebay. $525 for a knife that may be worth $4,000.00 ?
Old 10-17-2016, 06:49 AM

Steve: Thanks. That one came up after I did my earlier search. Funny how sometimes when it rains, it pours. Two smokin' deals the same day! It can sometimes be months before another happens.

Gibbs: Yeah, the word "knife" does not show in the listing title either. A lot of people search under "Randall knife" to eliminate wading through all the other miscellaneous Randall stuff. This one came up maybe 6-7 years ago. It was a mint 4-7 with a double hilt and ivory handle. The listing title was just "Hunting knife"! The auction went the whole 7 days. I picked it up for something like $1.4K if memory serves. Not cheap, but the seller still left a lot of money on the table.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:29 PM
Registered

randall chain link

Hello, I am new to this site. That was my listing for the chain link randall on ebay.
I was selling this for someone else and I actually could not read the hand writing very well
and I entered in the wrong amounts. I have refunded the buyer back on this and will be relisting it in a day or two.
I started it on ebay at 350 buy in now at 525. Boy did I mess up.
I was supposed to actually start this at 1350 with a buy it now of 5250.
I will tell you a little more about the knife. Mr. Lewis of Claremont NH joined the army Jan. 1942
he passed away in 2010. I do not know where he served, but like the rest of us he made his sacrifice
for this great country. The sheath is in good condition for the age. Leather also is good for the
age. The chain appears to made out of copper or brass not sure but it just looks a little different from the rest of the metal and a magnet would not stick to it. It is my understanding that this knife is rare but any information you gentleman could provide would be helpful.
I am not a big collector of anything I just sell some stuff on ebay from time to time for myself or others. The best thing I like about selling stuff is finding out history about things and where they came from and the passion that others have.
Thank you
Frank
Old 10-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibegood99 View Post
Hello, I am new to this site. That was my listing for the chain link randall on ebay.
I was selling this for someone else and I actually could not read the hand writing very well
and I entered in the wrong amounts. I have refunded the buyer back on this and will be relisting it in a day or two.
I started it on ebay at 350 buy in now at 525. Boy did I mess up.
I was supposed to actually start this at 1350 with a buy it now of 5250.
I will tell you a little more about the knife. Mr. Lewis of Claremont NH joined the army Jan. 1942
he passed away in 2010. I do not know where he served, but like the rest of us he made his sacrifice
for this great country. The sheath is in good condition for the age. Leather also is good for the
age. The chain appears to made out of copper or brass not sure but it just looks a little different from the rest of the metal and a magnet would not stick to it. It is my understanding that this knife is rare but any information you gentleman could provide would be helpful.
I am not a big collector of anything I just sell some stuff on ebay from time to time for myself or others. The best thing I like about selling stuff is finding out history about things and where they came from and the passion that others have.
Thank you
Frank
Frank , welcome to the site.

That is one RARE and awesome knife there. Take better pics and you will see the offers go through the roof !
I look forward to putting in some strong offers.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Skilled

Frank, welcome to the site. The explanation you posted is fine and you (the seller) have good feedback on E-bay regardless of whatever happened.

In light of the scams that circulate on line, I would advise you to post entirely new pictures of the knife taken with different background, better lighting, close ups of the handle, blade blade stamp, butt, etched owner's name, and additional clear pictures of the front and back of the sheath etc. and use them in your new offering. This is to provide confidence that you actually have the knife for sale and are the same person who mistakenly offered it before.

There are a lot of messages I get on line that start with "Hello..." (which is an unusual written greeting in America...and can be a marker for a scam) and end with "I'm not an expert" and "send your bank account number to me in Nigeria and I will share 90 percent of $10 million."

Sorry to be suspicious but the story leaves some questions. If you would post that knife for sale with different pictures and details under the category of "Randall Knife," I think you would get a fine response. And I probably wouldn't "end the bidding early" despite offers it I were you.

Regards

Last edited by Jacknola; 10-17-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Skilled

http://www.stringerfh.com/home/index...066/id/3239158

Kenneth O Lewis
August 08, 2010
Share this obituary

Sign Guestbook|
Send Private Condolences
Kenneth O. Lewis, Sr., 91, formerly of Claremont died Sunday August 8, 2010 in Sarasota, Florida.

He was born on December 19, 1918 the son of Oscar H. and Ada E. Lewis.

Kenneth was predeceased by his wife, Marjorie (Clough) Lewis on September 21, 2008.

The family includes one daughter, Monica Pantazopoulos of Sarasota; two sons, Kenneth O. Lewis, Jr. of Claremont, NH and Barry P. Lewis of Nashua NH; nine grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

Last edited by Jacknola; 10-17-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Registered

I understand being suspicious nowadays.
I should have stated his full name on my message from earlier.
Kenneth O. Lewis in the name on knife.
if someone can walk me through the picture process on this site I will post a
few new pictures.

thanks
frank
Old 10-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Skilled

Frank you might be better off taking your pictures, moving them onto Photobucket (add edit: DON"T USE PHOTOBUCKET...THEY HOLD YOUR PICTURES FOR RANSOM. USE IMGUR or other photo hosting site) or another picture hosting site, and then posting their code here. The pictures can then be used anywhere on the net.

Usually about 800 pixels wide is the limit here and I think Photobucket will reduce the picture to that size.

1. Open free account of Photobucket.

2. resize your pictures on your computer to 800 pixels wide. Open in "Paint," click "resize" in upper left, click "pixel" button, enter "800" in width box, click "save."

3. click "upload" in photobucket account. Choose pictures by holding down cntl button and highlighting pics to be uploaded.

4. click "open." Now wait until all the pictures are loaded onto photobucket.

5. click "view recent pictures."

6. click a picture and have it come up. Over on the right you will see four lines of code under "share this picture" title. Position the cursor in the box next to "IMG" and right click-copy. Paste that code here and the picture is entered and visible. You can now post that same picture using the same code wherever you wish on the net.

I'll usually save the codes for individual pictures in a word program until I have all the pictures I want to share and then copy-paste at one time to the site. It is a little complicated and a little time consuming but results are useful. Thanks for understanding. Regards.

PS If you want to e-mail me pictures, I'll post them in this line for you, but I understand if you would rather keep them close. Jacknola@cox.net

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-04-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Registered

Pictures of the Randall Knife

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/triplef96/DSC05372_zpsgak6xgll.jpg[/URL]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/triplef96/DSC05373_zpsteweg0fh.jpg[/URL]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/triplef96/DSC05368_zpszqi5wizz.jpg[/URL]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/triplef96/DSC05370_zpswzfbj8cg.jpg[/URL]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/triplef96/DSC05371_zpshkshmpru.jpg[/URL]
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/triplef96/DSC05367_zpsxcpnmv57.jpg[/URL]
Old 10-17-2016, 10:09 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Frank if you knew the listing was wrong why did you let it run it's course? Why didn't you cancel it immediately. Seems to me like somebody got a real bad deal.
Ronnie

Tags
arrow, awesome, brass, buy, chain, cheap, collector, etched, fighting, handle, hunting, hunting knife, ivory, knife, made, military, post, randall, sheath, show, stiletto, stone, vintage, web, white