MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Skilled

On creating a "Portable" shop....

Here's what I'm thinking, and wanted to know if anyone has ever done any work in this direction....

I live in a dinky apartment, with a dinkier patio. So it's not like I can set up a shop on it.

But.....

What I CAN do is build myself a workbench that can handle sitting out in the weather, with all the holes and attachments to add on grinders, vices and so forth. What I CAN'T do is leave that gear attached to the bench when I'm not around. It'd grow legs and run away in a heartbeat. And as we all know, grinders, vices, and drill presses need to be bolted to a heavy stable base.

Now, I already have a design to make my anvil (When I get one) a roll away without compromising it's stability, but I'm trying to figure out if theres any kind of case I can bolt to a workbench, that I can mount a grinder, or bench vise into, and then with some kind fo quick release, unhook the tool and haul it safely back inside.

Yes, it's a PITA to haul stuff in and out, as I do with my belt sander now, but it's a bigger PITA to replace them when stolen.

The alternative is to bolt them on and unbolt them when finished, and that would really cut into the workday and wear and tear on the bench.

Any ideas? Am I making a lick of sense? Do I need more coffee and less medication, or vice versa?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Steel Addict

I see where you're coming from, but I don't see you being happy with any such setup. I went through this basic concept over and over the whole time I lived in my apartment with every hobby I got into. My honest advice would be to just stick with as little and as many hand tools as possible if you have to work in that environment. I kind of feel your pain right now because, although I have plenty of space, I don't have a completely enclosed work area. My "shop" has a roof but no walls. It suits me just fine for a lot of things (although it keeps getting colder), but no way am I going to mount a $600+ belt grinder out there exposed to the moisture and elements. So for now I just stick with mostly hand tools. I have a small bench with a vice, a cheap belt sander, and some water tight tool boxes with hand tools. Another alternative could be to see if you might be able to rent a small workspace somewhere close by. I hope you get it figured out, but the logistics of what you are talking about tend to end up more trouble than they're worth. Think of it this way, how long is it going to take you to set all that up each day? You might be able to do the same thing with hand tools by the time you get your power tools set up.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

CB,

FWIW, I have about $9,000.00 in equipment sitting outside in a shelter with a roof but no walls. Been there for at least 6 years, maybe 7, don't remember. A little WD-40 on the right places keeps the rust under control.

Cthulhu,

You mentioned an anvil so I assume you want to forge. I think you should abandon that idea as long as you are in an apartment as it could easily bring a lot of trouble your way. Stock removal fits your circumstances much better and hand tools are better yet.

But, to your original question about quick release mechanisms there are several that could do the job. Look at MSC for quick release clamps. Some types of these clamps can be mounted to a bench. Slip your tool onto the bench in the right place, close the clamp, and you're done ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Master

Awhile back I came across an article on a workbench a guy made that was all quick release..it was a pretty nifty setup. I'm wracking my brain trying to think where I saw it, if I remember I'll let you know.

It never hurts to ask around if someone has extra space. Years back I was in the same situation as you, and I asked the owner of a local plastic/steel fabrication factory if he had a small amount of unused space in his shop I could rent. Sure enough he did, and at a reasonable price.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post

You mentioned an anvil so I assume you want to forge. I think you should abandon that idea as long as you are in an apartment as it could easily bring a lot of trouble your way. Stock removal fits your circumstances much better and hand tools are better yet.
I wholly agree.
I'm basically in the same boat and currently almost finished with my second stock removal.
I've focused on the things that I can do based on my circumstances. I don't have a crabby wife or crying baby so noise isn't a concern here. Other than an angle grinder for profiling... everything else (mostly hand-filing and hand sanding) can be done in your apt while watching football. I have the drill press indoors, not a problem. When I do my profiling outside, I use a portable folding workbench made by Black & Decker. I will add a 2X72 to my operation at some point but believe that can also be run indoors no problem (with an exhaust fan and resp). For now I'm draw-filing my bevels with hand files which takes a long time but works well for flat-grind bevels... and builds character... hours and hours of character, lol.
I've learned that even keeping it simple you can create good quality stock removal builds with hand tools, it just takes a lot longer. I could never make money doing it like this (manhours) but that's not my goal at this time. Overall very rewarding and I've greatly improved my skills with hand files which can be helpful down the road.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Steel Addict

Shows what I know. I hadn't actually had any problems with rust or anything yet, but I've been known to create irrational fears like that. Plan around your circumstances was what I was trying to say. I was probably being a little too pessimistic.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 PM

CB,

Maybe a little pessimistic but obviously a situation like that can't be the best environment for power tools. But, it comes down to do you want to make knives now or wait until you can build a regular shop for those tools? For me, the decision was easy since I was a full time knife maker and had no choice. It has worked out though, a little rust on the frame of my 7x12" bandsaw which has set near the edge of the roof partly exposed to the weather since the day it was new and that's been the worst of it ...

Old 11-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Steel Addict

Good to know. especially considering I'll probably be able to affor a grinder long before I can afford to close in my building. The cold is eventually going to become a problem. I've thought about buying some heavy plastic sheeting so I could make temporary walls around a small section and heat it.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM

Embrace the cold, CB. As long as you just want to be a little warmer in that 'shop' area the plastic sheet and heater should do a fair job. But, if you plan to try to run a forge inside there you'd probably be better off without the plastic sheet. I tried running mine one winter and it rained under my snow covered roof - and that was without the plastic sheeting. That lead to a moldy roof and water vapor condensing on a couple tons of ice cold metal which, in turn, lead to more rust. So, my suggestion would be if you plan to run a forge get it well out from under the roof ....

Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Contact Fred Rowe of Bethel Ridge Forge (maker of the Bubble Jig). He has a portable set up for the Beaumont Metal Works KMG and disc grinder.

Here's a pic from Fred's website:

http://bethelridgeforge.com/gallery/...00753.JPG.html

Last edited by NJStricker; 11-15-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 AM

Are you on ground level or have stairs to navigate?
On the level, you can get one of those roll around tool box cabinets and have plenty of storage for most of your tools. Stairs....well, I'd be checking my lease and looking somewhere else. YOu might find someone nearby with a little extra garage space and negotiate a deal. Maybe even with your apartment maintenance man. Worth checking into.
Saw a while back where one fella rented a small storage space and worked out of it. He could just lock up and go home when done.
Like Ray, I have a lot of equipment out in the elements (covered partially, but more for wind than percipatation). I made light weight plywood panels that I can hangup or take down relatively easy for the wind. Hot/cold not an issue if you are standing next to a forge all day. Feets get a bit cold from time to time, but the hot steel two step keeps them moving pretty good. Summer time.....just walk away from the forge....it's even cooler standing out in the sun. Skeeters are my nemisis.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Steel Addict

No forge for now. I don't so much mind the cold, but I have arthritis in my fingers and once they get so cold they are pretty well useless. I've been doing okay on these 30 degree nights, but I wonder how well I'll do with hours of filing and hand sanding once it gets much colder. I'll find a way to make it work, though. I may be able to start moving inside for some of the cleanish parts of the process.

Last edited by cbsmith111; 11-16-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 AM

Hand finishing and leather work really tax my hands. Forging is no problem. Taught myself to forge close to finish to cut down on the hand work. Broke down and bought a stitcher to get rid of the hand stitching part of leatherwork. Helps a lot but doesn't solve it all. They still hurt early in the mornings, have to flex them to life. I know your pain well.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Steel Addict

Yeah, it's a bummer especially considering I'm only 27. It terrifies me to think about what they'll be like in another 20 years. They've bothered me for a couple of years but the knife making is what has really brought it full blown and prompted me to go to the doctor over it (something I don't do easily). The other night I was pushing down on an India stone for some time. I took a break and went to light a cigarette and my thumb physically would not strike the lighter. I'm really having a hard time dealing with it. Everything I do, both for a living and for enjoyment, revolves around using my hands.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Skilled

I'm reconciled to not forging for a while, so I'd love to do stock removal. Besides, I don't even own a full size anvil yet. Forge yes, anvil no.

I'd be really interested in whatever those quick releases are, if anyone can remember what they're called.

As for space, I'm on a ground floor apt. bedrooms upstairs.

I've got whats probably an 8X8 area, a Dremel tool, a Scroll saw, heavy dity reversable drill, and a cheapo Lowes 4X36 belt grinder.

Oh, and a 6" grinder as well.

All I need is some way to mount the durn things.

Tags
advice, anvil, back, bee, blade, build, design, drill, files, folding, forge, hand, handle, hobby, knife, made, make, making, mount, plastic, press, steel, stock removal, tools, vise