MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 11-08-2003, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast

Building a Heat Treating Oven

Hey there. . . everyone. I am quite new to knife making. In fact, I haven't even really started yet. I'm just trying to collect all of the tools and whatnot. I have done hours of hours of research online and even bought a few books. My last obstacle to overcome before I start is the heat treating oven. I have looked into one brick forges, gas forges, and torches... but considering the cold weather I decided an electric oven woud be my best bet. However, I know very very little about electricity and circuits. I would like to safely hook up a small oven made out of fire bricks and a heating element. Some kind of temeratuer control unit would be helpful. If anyone has done this I would very much appreciate the input. I simply don't have 300-1000 dollars to spend on a commercial oven. Thanks for your input. These forums are great!! oh yea, I plan on starting my work with 0-1. Thanks again
Old 11-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Skilled

I would also like to construct an oven. I've been gathering info and here are some links that might be of interest. I think your best bet is to look at kilns and kiln components.

Small electric kiln plans:
http://www.joppaglass.com/mailbox_kiln/mailbox.html

Larger electric kiln plans:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/artisan/arti...lish/four.html

Also watch ebay. There are used kilns and kiln components frequently at good prices. A while back someone was selling digital temp controlers w/ thermocouple for under $100 if I remember correctly.

-Ben
Old 11-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks ben. That did help... though the directions are a bit sketchy... not your fault! I will have to look more into the kilns. Any more ideas?
Old 11-09-2003, 06:26 AM

I built my own heat treat oven a couple of years ago. I got a lot of help from the folks at Pottery Supply House. Asimple search on thier name will find thier website. I also went to the library and got a few books on kiln building from the pottery section. I have mine pugged into the regular 110 outlet and it works great. If you have specific questions let me know.
thanks
Steve

Old 11-09-2003, 06:38 PM
Steel Addict

I bought this controller and thermocouple off Ebay. It is a nice package and you can't beat the price.

Tim
Old 11-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast

Tim, Thanks for the E-Bay link,I,m needing a controller have the oven built i don,t think i can loose at those prices..Is the unit programable?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:20 PM
Steel Addict

Yes, the unit is programmable. It?s pretty simple to use. If you look at the picture the seller has posted it shows the controller, relay and thermocouple. The four little black numbers below the digital display are what you use to set the temperature you want. If you need more info you can email me. I?m always glad to help.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Tim, I,ve ordered the controller when it arrives i may take you up on your offer,thanks again..
Old 11-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. you've been a lot of help.

Tags
knife, knife making