MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast

Forge rebuild...slow but sure

Here is a mock-up of my forge rebuild. The forge casing is 10" dia. pipe 16" long. The plumbing is 1 1/2" reduced down to 3/4" for the burner. The blower will sit underneath on the shelf, the rest of the blower plumbing I will finish out with PVC. Still need all my refractory materials, I plan on lining with 1" Kaowool coated with Satanite, then coat the Satanite with ITC100, gonna add some pieces of angle to the front to hold the firebrick in front of the casing. This is the same set-up I was running years ago, minus the ITC100 and I had no problems getting to welding temps at all.
I still need to get some legs welded onto the casing, to get it up off the bench top. I am thinking of tack welding an 18-20 ga. plate on the back this time to close it off...not sure yet.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Skilled

I like the angle of the burner. That flame will roll around the inside nicely.

I also believe in the ITC-100 because it works. So many people get wrapped around the axle over the price of ITC-100, but once you try it you will see the difference.

I also am a huge fan of Bubble Alumina. Spreads like cottage cheese (bright white also) and hardens like a rock. It is impervious to flux and can be spread on the bottom of the forge to maintain that round contour, allowing the flame to roll around the interior snag free. No need for a flat firebrick to rest your steel on and break-up the roundness of your flame.

Best of luck,

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 11-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

Fulmaduro, yes I have read a little about the Bubble Alumina, but I did not realize it was impervious to flux. Will definately have to check into that further. Im not getting in a real big hurry to get it going, mainly due to the holiday season and getting all that taken care of first. But also because I want to do this rebuild the way I should have done it back years ago. Im still trying to decide exactly how I want to deliver the propane into the plumbing. My original set up had a simple 90 degree fitting drilled and tapped through the side of the 1 1/2" nipple on the downstream side of the ball valve. This time, I am playing around with the idea of a 1/2" nipple 6-8" long with a brass cap on it and a hole drilled in it going through the back of the 1 1/2" elbow. Not sure on that yet though.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Skilled

Contender, you have been doing research obviously on delivery of the gas to the forge. Me, just bought a kit from http://www.hightemptools.com/supplies-mainpage.html

My forge is round like yours, and with that Bubble Alumina you can just put a angled groove into the Bubble Alumina once it is "troweled" into the forge bottom to allow the flux to flow out and away, perhaps into a reservoir of your design or even out the bottom somehow. The groove will not affect the airflow or should I say the rolling of the flame. And it is highly impervious to flux. I even lined my front and back openings with it since Satanite was proving to be much too fragile. Great stuff. I just don't think a lot of folks have much knowledge of it yet. Check it out here: http://www.hightemptools.com/refractorycoatings.html

I bought the 2.5LB bag. These guys were great when I bought my forge materials. They even have glass platens for your grinder and wrought iron anchor chain and cable for cable damascus if that is of interest. You probably already know of them.

Please post pics of your forge interior whatever you do. Any forge knowledge passed on here will help a lot of people. Good luck!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

Tony, I have already been checking prices on refractory materials and the link you provided was one of the places. Good to know you can also get other supplies from them. I still have a bunch of cable that Ron Claiborne gave me back years ago at his very first hammer-in, and Im sure some of that cable will most likely be the first thing that goes into the forge once I get it going. Its still gonna be a while, as I have quite a few more materials to gather once the holidays are over. Im really looking foward to hearing and seeing the old forge run again.
I will definately post up more progress pics as I can.

Tags
angle, back, bee, blower, brass, chain, damascus, design, firebrick, flat, forge, iron, kaowool, kit, materials, post, pvc, simple, steel, supplies, welding, white