MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Skilled

Dremel shaft

is that right? I want to add dremel cut off to the drill press...
Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Is what right? You want to add a cutoff wheel to your Dremel? That doesn't make sense on a drill press, not even on a Dremel drill press. Maybe you want to use a Dremel flex shaft on your real drill press? Too much power on a real press and not enough speed.

Might want to make your question a little clearer, some of us are old ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Master

No, Ray, even us young ones don't understand.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Skilled

Well Ray, it was actually Don Robinson who told me to do this. I know you know it is to cut the slot in a liner lock. He was quite clear in using a drill press and using a Dremel shaft. If I am not the only one who has questions I guess that is good.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Sounds like he means to power a flex shaft with a drill press but that can't be right. Probably means to chuck the little 1/8" Dremel shaft that is used with the little 1" fiber cut off wheels into the drill press and then work against that. That could work, I suppose, but those little wheels and the tiny screw that holds them probably won't like that much side load. Maybe Dremel has some larger cutoff wheels and heavier shafts than the ones I'm familiar with. I've used the small ones in my Dremel to slot titanium liners but I can't get a really clean job done that way.

If you did try it that way, my preference would be to use it with a cross slide vise and be very, very careful to not shear off that little screw. I would think a jewelers slotting saw mounted on an arbor would have a better chance of success. You would still need to be cautious of the side load because drill presses are not built for that but, if you can make it work the results would look better and probably go faster.

Heat is a big problem when cutting titanium. Cutoff wheels make a lot of heat and drill presses turn too slowly for the wheels to work properly. If you work harden titanium you will have an unbelievably difficult time cutting through the hardened area while still maintaining a clean cut. The slotting saw will be much cooler but it still generates enough heat to make hard spots, especially after the saw starts to go a bit dull. A constant mist of water (or misting coolant) is a really good idea when cutting titanium.......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Ray says, "chuck the little 1/8" Dremel shaft that is used with the little 1" fiber cut off wheels into the drill press and then work against that."

I've been using this method ever since I've been making linerlocks to cut the lock slot in liners.

A drill chuck mounted in my mill spindle. Put the knife liner in a drill press vise and feed the liner back and forth by hand. Run the spindle at the fastest speed.

Dave, there are pictures and a detailed description of this method in the book you have. Same thing in my DVD.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Skilled

Thank you, Don.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Skilled

Actually this started because I could not fine a "Dremel Shaft" and wanted one to try. I finally bought a small 1/8 inch shaft with what Dremel calls a E-Z lock to hold a diamond cut off wheel which I am anxious to try. Don and another friend thought the shaft was at any hardware store but I still have to find it. The shaft I got from Dremel seems to be one that wil work and I will try.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Steel Addict

Any jewelry tool supply house should have any size mandrel (shaft) with any size screw you need. Remember, if you are using diamond products, keep them running slow and well lubricated. ...Teddy
Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Skilled

Thanks to you, Teddy
Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Master

www.widgetsupply.com

Wide selection, good prices, cheap shipping

Tags
arbor, back, bee, diamond, drill, hand, harden, hardware, knife, liner lock, lock, make, making, press, products, store, supply, tiny, vise