MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 06-05-2001, 06:37 AM
BJHALL

Small socket head screws

Hi Guys
I want to make a tactical hunter and want to know how those socket head screws you see on folders and tacticals are mounted. Are they just tapped into the blade tang? Also where can i get some? There is not many suppliers in Australia.
Thanks
BJHALL
Old 06-05-2001, 06:49 AM
dogman

Drop Reese Weiland a line. He sells folder parts. <a href="mailto:rwphil413@earthlink...thlink.net</a>

To answer your second question...yes you have to drill and tap the handle for screws. remember to offset the holes slightly from one side of the knife to the other.

You will also need to countersink your handle material to make the screw heads flush or sit below the surface of the handle material.

Make sure you drill and tap before heat treat.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:34 PM
BCB27

Another options is to use a threaded barrel, and use the same hole, similar to a folder pivot pin.

Brett
Old 06-29-2001, 09:33 PM
BillyOz

screws

You don't say where in Oz you live but I am sure that locally you will have an industrial supply shop that will stock all the screws and threaded barrels you could want. I live in Canberra and we have a company in our local industrial area called Specialty Fasteners, they have every nut bolt or screw I ever need for any job. I am finding that by looking around the industrial area i am discovering supplies in all sorts of unusual settings. It's half the fun!
Mick
Old 07-03-2001, 01:07 AM
BOB28

Re: screws

Dogman:
Why do you need to offset the holes slightly? Could you elaborate a bit further please?
Old 07-04-2001, 04:40 AM
atbarr

Socket Screws

You can also purchase them from R.B. Johnson www.customknives.com/r.b.johnson/

The reason you offset the screw holes is, you can use the full thickness of the steel for the threads of each screw. If you only use one hole, then you will only be able to use 1/2 of the thickness of the tang for the threads of each screw.

A.T. Barr
www.customknives.com/
Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 PM

Depth of the screw

I was reading an article the other day about the strength of a bolt. According to the article, about 75% of the strength is covered by the first 2 1/2 threads in the hole.After that, it gets geometrically less and less. This was supposed to come from a structural engineer. I don't know from experience, but I found it very interesting.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:52 AM
Banned

Industrial Supplies exporters

Times India Trade - We have list of Industrial Supplies directory, All type Industrial Supplies, Industrial Supplies Exporters and suppliers.

Our Products:
Industrial Supplies manufacturers
Industrial Supplies exporters
Industrial Supplies suppliers
Industrial Supplies
Indian sellers
International sellers directory
Industrial Supplies-General
Industrial Supplies Stocks
Electroplating Metal & Equipment & Chemicals
Manufacturers directory
Exporters directory
Suppliers directory
Indian manufacturer
Global manufacturer
Global supplier
Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Banned

Lapping Compounds manufacturers

Surface Improvements (India) Ltd [SILK] celebrates a decade of involvement with the component industry.Spanning the complete range of components from large engine components to the smallest of horological parts

Deburring system manufacturers
Orthopaedic Implant finishing system manufacturers
Vibratory and Centrifugal disc system manufacturers
Lapping Compounds manufacturers
Honing stone suppliers
Degating / deflashing system for Zinc die cast parts manufacturers
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Most custom makers use Torx head screws and #######.

You can get anything you need from

http://knifekits.com

Tags
blade, custom, knife, knifekits.com, knives, stone, supplies, surface, torx