MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Steel Addict

Grinder shock

I have others talking about static shock when using the grinder but have never experienced it, till lately!

It seems the cold weather here in NW Florida has produced the right conditions for static shock. Cold with low humidty!

I have been building a new vice to use for my knife making and doing quite a bit of grinding. I have noticed the last few times I have used the grinder if I allow any part of my body to touch the metal that makes up the grinder while grinding then I am set up for static shock.

I was grinding in a particularly odd position yesterday and my arm had contacted back against the frame of my grinder, even through the light sweatshirt I had on the shock became so annoying I had to stop and re-adjust my rest to get into a position that I wasn't touching the grinder itself!

Has anyone tried the cable from the grinder to the concrete, you know kind of like they use on shopping buggies? I didn't think it could be too bad but after a while it kind of gets annoying!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Steel Addict

I started getting the zaps when I put the glass on the platter. My first zap was actually on my back because I touched a shelf that was screwed to the wall. At first I thought something bit me. I am not sure if a wire from frame to the ground would work or not. I think in a way it already is like that just by grounding in thru the plug but it is worth a try. I heard that you can spray the back of each belt with static guard stuff that you use for clothes but I haven't tried that either yet. I don't have much of a problem because I have a finger usually touching the frame when I'm grinding to help guide.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icho View Post
I started getting the zaps when I put the glass on the platter. My first zap was actually on my back because I touched a shelf that was screwed to the wall. At first I thought something bit me.
I apologize in advance. I read this and just started laughing. Why, because that kind of stuff happens to me a lot. I get bit by everything it seems, winter or summer. I thought it was only me.

But, I too have this static shock problem and also have a glass platen. Just noticed it today, 40F and I grind outside. If anybody comes up with a solution that would be great. I get the shock when I put my finger on the metal platen behind the glass platen, when I need extra stability.
Thanks for listening.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

been gettin bit a lot here in okieland.evrthing i touch gives a me a zap from truck doors to door knobs but they really get me in the shop repeatedly
Old 01-20-2014, 04:02 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

How about one of those rubber static pads for the floor or maybe a ground wire from the grinder frame to a rod driven into the ground?

I recently had a strange issue with static. I needed a new set of sheets for my bed - last set wore out in only 15 years - and I was in a hurry so I ordered the first thing I saw on eBay. Turned out to be 100% polyesther. Oh well, cheap crap but no one but me will ever see them.

Now, I like to wear a set of headphones connected to the TV when I watch movies in bed. Do you have any idea how much of a static charge polyesther sheets will build up in the winter during the time it takes to watch a movie? Me neither but I found out. The movie was over, I swung around to drop my feet to the floor and ZAP! a bolt of lightning from the headphones straight down to my ear drum! " @#$%!!", I shouted as I threw back the covers and ZZAAPPP!!!! again on my defenseless ear drum. Well, let me tell you, as soon as I regained consciousness, taken a shower, and washed my clothes I went right out and bought some cotton sheets ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Steel Addict

To stop the static shock you have to get everything at the same potential. Ground the grinder to earth ground. Try to get yourself at the same potential by picking up a piece of metal and using it to touch the same grounding spot. Doing this should prevent you from feeling the discharge. The spark will be between the metal you are holding and ground instead of your finger and ground.

Last edited by Walt-; 01-20-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM

I too have been plagued by this up here in the cold and dry of Michigan...

Haven't tried it yet, but I have read from several places that a light spray of static guard on the backing of the belt every now and again while it is running can help. Maybe this will remind me to pick some up to try next time I'm at the store!
Justin
Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Steel Addict

Have the static shock problem when using my buffer, but have never experienced it with my grinder. But I think the most important info I gained reading this thread was from Ray ..... don't buy polyester sheets!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Skilled

A belt grinder is remarkably similar to a Van de Graaf generator. You remember those silver globes from science class that would make people's hair stand up? Yes they are belt driven motorized static electricity generators.

If you seriously don't like zapping yourself like we do in the winters here (20% humidity), the solution is to setup a simple discharge brush. A conductive brush mounted very close, but not touching the belt. I've used those brass cleaning brushes wired in a short piece of copper wire. Mount the brush so that bristles are about 1/16" away from the belt and screw the wire to the frame. Of course your frame should be connected to ground via the power connection.

These guys deal with static all day long. http://www.westmontinc.com/

Can't help Ray with his sheets. Sorry.

Dan
Old 01-20-2014, 11:07 PM

I don't know, Dan. Stick a wire brush in Ray's sheets and he probably won't move around much
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Hall of Famer

All it takes is to spray laundry static remover inside the belt while it's running. One time is enough for the life of the belt.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:12 PM

Having the same problem. My grinder gives me one hell of a jolt. I was going to try running a wire from the frame to ground, but I think I'll try the static remover first. Thanks for the tip Don!

Chad
Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Steel Addict

[QUOTE=Ray Rogers;468470
I recently had a strange issue with static. I needed a new set of sheets for my bed - last set wore out in only 15 years - and I was in a hurry so I ordered the first thing I saw on eBay. Turned out to be 100% polyesther. Oh well, cheap crap but no one but me will ever see them.[/QUOTE]

Ray I practically fell out of my chair when I read this, laughing that is! I am sorry but that is funny to picture.

The reason I was asking about the little cable is I noticed all the buggies that in Wallyworld have one. Except last week I get one and dang if I am not getting shocked from it. That is when I noticed that particular buggy was missing the little cable!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

It was supposed to be funny, true too (at least the part about getting a lightning bolt through my ear drum).

I expect the cable would work fine as long as the charge could reach a ground potential. The static spray, rubber mats, and other suggestions would all work as well if the conditions are right. I used to get those shocks from my grinder too but it rarely happens now. Not sure why that is as I didn't do anything about it. Probably humidity changes or a different pair of boots ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Skilled

I do Not have this issue However I did wire my shed for a very Large Ground and all my equipment has double grounds --- the plug and Bench grounds as well .

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !

Tags
back, bee, brass, build, building, cleaning, cold, grind, grinder, grinding, guard, help., knife, knife making, make, making, metal, problem, rod, simple, spray, store, video