MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:55 PM

accidental beauty

Did you ever have one of those knives that ended up being much prettier than you had planned. This one turned out that way. Mr Matt Walker supplied the damascus for the blade and the bolsters. The handle is African Blackwood treated with black leather dye. The work still leaves alot to be desired but for the first snake inlay I can live with it.
For those of you coming to the Canadian Guild Show this March 12th and 13th in Toronto you can see it on my table. Maybe even take it home with you.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Steve

Last edited by SVanderkolff; 10-29-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, that damascus pattern or I should say the combination of patterns really screws with my eyes, in a good way.Kinda makes my eyes wonder all over the knife because it's so busy and contrasting, but always pulling them back to the centerline of the blade. Makes me take in the whole knife, not just focus on any one detail. An Absolutely wonderful experience !!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Skilled

That is a pretty one Steve. mosparky explained why. Is it sharp on both edges?
Good luck with it. .. Matt

Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Walker View Post
That is a pretty one Steve. mosparky explained why. Is it sharp on both edges?
That brings up a question I have always had.

I enjoy looking at art knives and I admire the beauty. That's why I'm here. Having said that, is it important for these knives to be sharpened at all if they are designed to be displayed?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 AM

The short answer is Yes, the longer answer is, If you are going to call an item a knife and sell it as such it needs to able to perform as a knife. Which means it needs to have the appropriate edges sharpened and also needs to have the correct heat treatment. Any knife I make wether it be a hunter expected to be used or a fancy dagger or Bowie is tested for Rockwell hardness and has the edge you would expect on a using knife. Other wise you are simply making knife shaped art.
And Yes both edges are sharp.
Steve

Old 03-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast

Steve, thank you for your response. I was hoping that was going to be the answer.

As most of you know, my doctor is first generation Japanese American. His mother was born in Japan and came here after the war. Recently, he bought a garden-variety yanagiba from me. It was meant to be a fish knife for his mother.

Being traditionally raised, she told my doctor that she would not use the knife. It was "too perfect" for her simple kitchen duties. He bought the knife and it now resides on his mantle with other Japanese "treasures."

Now, I would never do or say anything to offend that nice older woman, but my edge will never be used. It is now sitting gathering dust. That's not the reason I do this. (BTW, she thinks I'm Japanese, and we do not tell her differently!)

I did secure a "country style" fruit knife from the Japan Woodworker, and I'm going to polish that knife for her. I do not know what else to do.

As for the beautiful knife that started this thread, I do think it's best that the knife could do work, whether it does so or not. For example, those dog shows you see on TV are only open to dogs that are not spayed or neutered. Granted, many of them are the personal house pets of the owners, but like Steve pointed out, the purpose is to function. Those dogs were intended for breeding purposes, and whether they do so or not, they must be functional for that purpose.

Tags
art, blade, bowie, damascus, hunter, knife, knives