MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast

Replacing rubber on bandsaw?

Im just starting to accumulate some good tools and still have a LOT to learn about using and maintaining them. My grandpa is moving to a new house and decided to give me his old bandsaw and drill press. I was very excited and thanked him up and down. Talk about a money saver and a great way to save me some time in the shop. Anyway, on to the question.

pardon my lack of "tool" vocabulary...

The rubber on the wheels that hold the blade is very worn down. The rubber has cracks in it and in some places looks like it will soon start coming off. I was wondering where online I could get some replacement rubber or (whatever material) for it. Also, how would I go about attaching the new stuff once I get the old stuff off. I have looked at enco and it looks like they might have some rubber that could work. I could use some expert adivice though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Skilled

This may not be the proper fix, but it has worked nicely for me in the past. I use vacuum cleaner belts, for the tire replacement problem.

Ken Beatty

Old 09-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Ken. I might try that.

Old 09-11-2004, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Check around woodworking web sites. (Google a bit!) There are several that will have shop tips or tool tips and I've seen step-by-step directions on changing the rubber on a bandsaw wheel. As I recall, it's not that hard - if you've ever worked on a bicycle tire, it's similar. I'll check my Favorites list and if I come across the link I'll pass it along.

By the way, those old bandsaws and drill presses can work for many, many years! You can usually still get parts (and I'd recommend using the right parts unless you're really adept at adapting mechanical things.) Many professional woodworkers look for and buy up good, solid older units to use in their own shop. Newer equipment often has better motors and controls, but the older stuff is usually heavier and thus not as subject to vibration. Grandpa did alright by you, and I'm sure that he's happy that his old tools will continue to be used.

Old 09-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.diynet.com/diy/wk_tools/a...278285,00.html

I came across this one pretty quickly. There are others.

Old 09-11-2004, 01:44 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you very much. That was most helpful!! im really excited to fix it up and get it running well again.

Old 09-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Living Legend

You can buy direct replacement tires for a lot of wheels. Search on "bandsaw replacement tires" and you'll get plenty of choices. Here's an example:

http://www.freemansupply.com/BandSawAccessories.htm
Old 09-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast

Mike,

I run searches for things im looking to buy commonly. I guess im just really scepticle about who I buy from on the internet. I do a lot of internet shopping, but I don't usually buy from anyone unless I know other people have delt with them and have been satisfied.

I say this because I don't want you to think I am not willing to do the work of searching out items I'm looking for. Everyone around here is busy and shouldn't have to spend time on google doing other peoples home work. Thank you for your site recommendation.

Old 09-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Living Legend

John , I understand completely. I had seen several places on the net earlier when I was searching for people who may have parts for my bandsaw, an INCA from Sweden I'd bought many years ago. That was when I learned about just how many parts are still available for a lot of old saws. Thus, I was simply getting at the fact you could probably find someone selling direct replacement tires in case you couldn't find the types of belts readily that one of my very best friends, Ken Beatty, had very creatively suggested above. (He's far better at "alternative solutions" than I am. Pretty danged sharp for some old man from Texas!!!) [Inside joke posted especially for him. Hi, bud!]

Regardless, John, I hope you get your new/old saw up and running soon. AA good bandsaw is a wonderful tool to have in the shop.

As far as skepticism about buying on the internet blind: wise choice. With the number of sleazeballs capitalizing on the anonymity of the 'net, you're either cautious or a "victim". Caveat emptor has taken on a new level of appropriateness.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast

Much thanks to ALL of you. I will be fixing that old boy up soon as I get time and $$. Something we could all use a little more of perhaps.

Tags
blade, knife