MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Steel Addict

Question on friction folders

I have built a friction folder before but it was a primitive style folder! Here are some pics of that one.

That one in the pictures did not have any bushings for the pivot pin! OK so here is my question, is that a necessary feature on a friction folder???

I see a lot of more modern friction folders and well I have too wonder about the pivot. Are they using a bushing or exactly how are they doing that part of it?

Anyone who is building some of the more modern friction folders want to enlighten me?

Anyone got any pics of one the more modern friction folders in construction?

I would like to build some more friction folders but this pivot thing has been in my mind since I built that one.
I want to build my friction folders, like any of my knives, "to last a lifetime" so I really would appreciate any comments or suggestions about how those makers that build friction folders handle the pivot on one!!!!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Steel Addict

Wow 72 views and not one comment!

I am not trying to steal a trade secret just looking for some advice/info about pivot pins!

Anyone got any advice on the subject!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 11-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Skilled

Bushings are not necessary, IMO. Millions of folding knives have been made without them, the use of them is a fairly modern thing as far as folders go. I drill the hole in the blade a few thousands of an inch larger than the pivot pin, and prefer a steel pivot...

I do like to use thin (.008") bronze washers though, but their primary purpose is to keep the blade from getting scratched from opening and closing.

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks GHEzell. I didn't use any washers inside that one in the pic because I figured any scratches would be under the handle material and wouldn't show.

On the one in the pic I peened out one side of the pivot pin and then installed it. I did use a thin bushing that was later removed so that the pin would not get too tight from peening the other side of the pivot pin! Once I got the other side of the pivot pin peened out and removed that bushing, I then adjusted the tightness by peening just a couple of more licks, to get it where it was just right on the tension at the pivot!

Where did you get the .008 bronze washers you referred to?

C Craft
Old 11-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Hall of Famer

I make my washers from shim stock.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Don hadn't thought about shim stock but it easy to get at my local hardware.

Their is one Hardware store left here in town than the box stores haven't pushed out. It is my go to place for those things the box stores don't even think of carrying, can't help it the box stores get under my skin at times!

C Craft

Tags
bee, blade, building, custom, drill, easy, folder, folding, handle, handle material, hardware, knife, knives, made, make, material, pivot, primitive, steel, store, washers