MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 04-15-2002, 01:43 PM
sherpa1d

Bolt-Action Lock

I'm new to knife making and still perfecting my fixed blades but am planning on doing some folders.

I used to collect Gerber knives and for a while they had a "bolt-action" series of knives. It semed like a simple enough design but I have heard no mention of it and Gerber appears not to make it anymore (maybe why I haven't heard anyone talk about it)

Does anyone know why this design is not used, I liked it. Following is a description if you've never heard of it before:

The design consisted of a blade with a small cut in the back, pivot pin, a rod of the same dimention as the blade with a reversed cut at the end, a tube for the rod, a spring, and a groved plate mounted to the rod to operate it. You openned the blade and the bolt (very quietly) slid into place. Slide it back with your thumb and the blade was free.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:51 PM
neil charity

Your best bet is to by one and dismantle it and then use it as a prototype. One of the larger cutlery stores might have one.

Regards from Australia.

Old 04-16-2002, 06:20 AM
sherpa1d

Oh I've already done that, that's why I can kinda explain it, I'm just woundering what ever happen to it? Was it not a good design?
Old 04-20-2002, 08:34 AM
SIGGI

I love the bolt action folder that I have carried for 20 years. I just broke the blade (what an IDIOT). I'm going to replace it with a Cable Damascus blade from Gene Osborn. (It will have a much classier look) It just works too good. I'm not sure what patents are held on this design. With the proper tools it wouldn't be impossible to make but would probably be time consuming.

Bob Sigmon
Old 04-20-2002, 11:49 AM
Troop9242

Anyway to post a picture of this knife? I'm intrigued and would love to see the mechanism and how it works.
James
Old 04-22-2002, 06:44 AM
sherpa1d

I don't have any more in my posession (stupid, stupid, stupid) but I will try a sketch to give you an idea of how it works.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:40 AM
sherpa1d

It's actually a very simple design...

(sorry this was quick, do not use this as a blue print, this is not to scale or proper fit-and-finish)(If the picture does not load go here - http://www.geocities.com/miketcarrigan/bolt-action1.gif )

#1 is the lockup area between the bolt and blade
#2 if you haven't figured out is the bolt
#3 is the bolt sleave and spring to push the bolt into place
#4 is where a slide plate would be on the outside, side of the knife. I don't remember Gerber ever offering a lefty but once you got it down, it wouldn't be hard to cut the other side for a special south-paw version.

It would take some real trial and error to get everything into place, but I'm going to give it a shot one day, if someone else does it first let me know.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:06 AM
Troop9242

Thanks for the drawing. Very interesting idea. Might play around with it and see what I come up with.
James
Old 04-25-2002, 10:36 AM
SIGGI

Sherpa1d,

Great drawing! I copied it and modified the blade.(Hope you don't mind) The Gerber that I am repairing has the same cut out on the top and bottom of the blade on each side of the pivot. This locks it both open and closed.

I going to get a scan of my broken blade so that you can see the exact relation. The bolt helps to keep the knife closed but I can easily open the knife with my thumb (no thumbstud)

Bob Sigmon
Old 04-25-2002, 10:56 AM
Troop9242

Bob
Look forward to your scan of the blade. Thanks.
James
Old 04-25-2002, 11:17 AM
sherpa1d

I don't remember mine locking closed but we may have differnet models or ages. I was thing though, there had to be something else done with the front because I couldn't picture it closing correctly the way I drew it. But hay, its been nearly 10-years since I had one.

I look forward to seeing yours Bob. (no worries about modifing my drawing)
Old 04-25-2002, 12:04 PM
SIGGI

Sherp1d,

The bolt does not really hold the blade locked, but puts mild tension on the blade (because of the spring behind the bolt).

Here is the scan of both the broken blade and my start on a replacement blade.

I hope this helps someone wanting to try this style folder. It has always been a great knife.

Bob Sigmon
Old 04-25-2002, 02:38 PM
sherpa1d

Ok, I gatcha...I understand now

Which Gerber are you replaceing the blade for?
Old 04-25-2002, 05:26 PM
SIGGI

It is a knife with the only label being a small round plate that covers the pivot pins saying Bolt Action Folder. It is a biege (antique white?) body. Within a couple of years they went to black bodies. I'll try to get a pic of the body posted as soon as I can.

Bob Sigmon
Old 04-25-2002, 10:09 PM
SIGGI

Here's a pic of the body.

This is the best shot that I could get of the bolt in the body. It does show the basic shape of the end of the bolt.

Bob Sigmon

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives