MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast

Another KBAC issue

I am quite frustrated with my KBAC 27-D. It has broken three times now to the tune of $200 a pop to get it fixed by the "factory".

Background: I bought a new 2x72 about three years ago and bought the 27-D to run the grinder. I had it set up to run off of 110v input to the 27-D It worked great for about a year. After a year, when I would try to start it, the grinder would move a very tiny bit and stop like the motor was not getting enough juice to kick over (maybe). Then the drive quit altogether. I sent it back to the factory, who fixed it ($200). It ran great for about a year, then BAM, same problem. Sent it back to the factory, who fixed it ($200) again. This time, before it quit, I was able to find out it was giving a low voltage error. Frustrated with the whole situation, I had all new power professionally run to my shop. I had a new breaker box and all new circuits added including a dedicated 220v circuit for my grinder. When the KBAC showed back up from it's repair, I set it up to be fed by the 220 and it worked fine for...about a year. Then, same problem, it died last weekend after hesitating to start up a couple of times. I checked all the connections inside the 27-D and at the plug and all was well. Checked the outlet and it shows 240v. A friend suggested I may have gotten a lemon. I have installed a China VFD to get me by while I decide what to do with the 27-D this time.

Has anyone had similar issues with a 27-D?
Old 02-15-2022, 07:11 PM
Steel Addict

I have 2 of them. One on my belt grinder and one on my surface grinder, both running 220 volts input. Both have been running flawlessly for over 10 years.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Sorry you're having issues. That's one of very few instances that I have heard about problems with a KBAC. I've run them for years, and had one failure, that was self induced.

I suspect you've explored everything thoroughly, but I didn't read anything about the motor you're using. I have seen the controllers act "squirrely" with some motor brands. Mostly with lower quality motors such as imports. I personally had something similar to what you described, happen one time, and in that case it ended up being the Marathon brand motor I was using. I changed that motor to a Leeson of the same size/HP (and a lot more $$$)..... and that VFD is still purring along.

Ever since, the only two motor brands I use are Leeson and Baldor.

All that being said, I've not purchased a KBAC in a lot of years, so who knows. I've seen a lot of products circling the drain in terms of quality..... I'd like to hope KBAC isn't one of them.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-17-2022, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

That is an interesting response ED because I am using a Marathon motor on my grinder. Because the motor is "downstream" of the VFD I had not considered that being the problem. Do you know what specifically was the problem with the Marathon or did you figure it out through process of elimination?
Old 02-18-2022, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Chris!

When things went wrong, I didn't want to let that Marathon motor go.... so I toted it into our local electric motor shop/repair, and when I told the guy what had happened, he was familiar with the problem. He told me it was due to cheap, or contaminated wire used for the motor windings.

I don't claim to fully understand, but his explanation was that Marathon is a "bargain brand" motor, and as such, they tend to cut corners on components. He explained that the winding wire used is often unequal diameter/thickness over it's length, or of a very low grade copper with possible contaminates, either causing problems. He went on to tell me that if I stuck with Leeson or Baldor brand motors, he'd bet I'll never have another issue with VFDs..... and so far it's proven true. I don't know if that's the case with your motor, but it's kinda odd that we both have had VFD issue with the same brand motor.

He ended up throwing me a lowball offer for that Marathon motor, and I let him have it. He's always been really good to me when I need motor work, so why not.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-21-2022, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

It seems awful coincidental we both had Marathon motors and similar issues. I cannot replace the motor right now so I will see how it gets along with the China VFD I have running it now.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:40 PM
Steel Addict

While Leeson and Baldor have manufacturing plants all over the world including China, there is a world of difference between "made in China" products, all depending. There are some items that are built in China at the lowest possible cost, and other items while manuf'd in China still go thru close inspections by USA personnel to assure good quality. There is a well know Pressure relief valve company that has relief valves manuf'd in USA as well as their own plant in China where inspectors from USA oversee the production to be sure it's of good quality. Got to be for major chemical plants in USA to use the relief valves.

What Ed says about size of wire is interesting, I'd not really thought about that in motor manuf'ing. I do know when you order insulated wire that's "made in China" most of the time a #12AWG wire will actually measure about #13. Just about 1 odd size smaller than the Chinese spec it.

I do hope you have good luck with the Chinese VFD, as mentioned many times in the past I use Chinese VFDs with good success.

Ken H>
Old 02-21-2022, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Ken. So far so good with the VFD. I am getting used to the controls it seems that running it around 5500 on the readout is close to about what 3/4 setting was on the KBAC. I have not taken it past that yet.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Best of Luck with thing Chris! Keep us posted on how things go.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Tags
2x72, 550, a, art, baldor, bee, belt, belt grinder, brand, ca, case, chris, fac, fixed, grinder, interesting, leeson, motor, problem, products, repair, shop, surface, tiny, vfd